Simple Fix for Problem Ceiling

$220
1 Day

Our house was built in 1970 and was a fixer upper when we bought it 22 years ago. Raising 5 young children, however, was our priority. When it came time to finally start fixing it up, we were met with some challenges, one of which were our ceilings. Old popcorn ceilings that needed updating BAD! This is the solution I came up with and absolutely love it!
Both ceilings I have done had holes from the previous owners moving light fixtures. The bedroom ceiling had a popcorn ceiling covering up the holes, which I found out after scraping all the popcorn off. UGH! The Dinning Room had 2 holes, one from the light fixture being moved, and the other from a wood burning stove pipe that had been removed. Both were a real mess and patching, sanding, and texturing to match the rest of the ceiling just wasn't my idea of fun. So ... I searched high and low for something simple to cover it with, yet still look nice.
I found an online store called Talissa Decor. They specialize in all sorts of ceiling tiles, wall panels, and wall murals Using different kinds of materials. We chose the 20" 20" Polystyrene ceiling Tiles which can be applied over popcorn ceilings as well as over other materials.
After searching for something to fill the need, I finally came across a company called Talissa Decor. They specialize in ceiling tiles, wall tiles and even wall murals using different materials and patterns. We chose this pattern for the Dinning Room using their 20" X 20" polystyrene tiles. They answered all my questions and helped me determine the exact number of tiles I would need (plus a few extra for boo-boos). Great company to work with. This is my 2nd project using their ceiling tile products.
After assembling all the materials, I took the light fixture down, then used a chalk line to find the center and mark where the first tile would go, making sure it was square with the room. Then the fun began. With the putty knife, smear a thin, but adequate, layer of the Acryl Pro over the back of the tile and then stick the tile to the ceiling in the center where you marked it to be square. Continue the process, butting up each tile to the one before. I used a soft rag to make sure all the air bubbles were out and it was secured to the ceiling. Be careful. Polystyrene is easily dented but I didn't have any trouble with that.
One of the holes near the light has already been covered, you might see the edge of the other hole, which has been roughly patched (not sanded) as it was quite big. to the right of the tiles.
This process took longer than usual as I am a stay at home grandma taking care of a 1 year old granddaughter and 2 grandsons at the same time.

We are very happy with the end result. We plan to do the Living Room and 2 bedrooms to cover the popcorn ceilings in them as well.
This is the bedroom ceiling which we did several years ago. We are still loving it.

• Chris Dufresne

With a daily buildup of dust and grime, how would you clean the tiled ceiling? I doubt that it can be painted, right?
    • Kristie Spencer

Yes, we have used these in the past and they can be painted. We applied our tiles with a tube of liquid nails, applying a swirl on each tile and then stuck them up and smoothed them out. This is a much faster and less messy. It stayed up just fine for years.
    • Pam Burley

I painted the celing tiles in our bedroom. They were installed 5+ years ago and still look great. I just have to give them a dusting for the spider web trails now and then. So far, I have chosen to leave the ones in the dinning room just the way they are.

• Heather Bella

popcorn ceilings aren’t exactly easy to clean, either! This will be better than that, for sure!
    • 16999903

Beautiful solution!
    • Diena Cameron

Heather Bella, Beautiful point ! I wish people would read her article before before they ask a question or read some of the questions others have asked first. Otherwise she winds answering the same question 15 times. Thanks !

• Eileen Hunter-Osborne

Question do you have to scrape the popcorn ceiling off first??
    • Pam Burley

No. That is the beauty of this product. It adheres to popcorn ceilings and covers a multitude of blemishes on old ceilings. You should make sure the ceilings are free of cob webs, dust and other debris before beginning.

• Beachbren12

Absolutely beautiful ceiling. How costly is this project? ~Brenda
    • Pam Burley

The tiles ran about $180 for our 11 X 12 (apx) room. I ordered several extra tiles for any mishaps that might occur. The adhesive wasn't expensive but I did need about 1.5 gallon buckets of it. I tend to slather the whole back surface as I didn't want to risk any sagging areas. The videos I saw showed only doing the corners of the tiles which would cut down the amount of adhesive needed. Just not sure how well doing only the corners would work. On a popcorn ceiling, you may need more as you want to make sure you had a fairly good layer on the tile, about 1/4".

• Beachbren12

Thank You! Looks like it was a lot of hard work, but worth it and no doubt increased your property value a lot with such a high-end finished look. Fabulous!
  • Wje11858961

Isn't polystyrene very flammable? Do the tiles contain some type of flame retardant?
  • Jmc28782890

What does it look like at the "end" of the room. My dining room needs an update, but there are no doors, off the room. It is an open doorway into the living room. Does the edge look "finished"?

• Jlnatty

I think the edge would only look finished if the end row of tiles along the opening with the living room has all full panels, not panels that needed to be cut. If the row is one of cut panels, I think you could just add a finishing touch with a trim piece to show the demarcation between the two spaces and ceiling treatments. You might want to do that even if the end row is one of full tiles.
    • Pam Burley

jlnatty gave you a great answer. I do recommend using a trim along the ceiling edges to give it a finished look.

• Rub12902663

Is it necessary to remove the "popcorn" from the ceiling before installing tiles?
    • Karyn McDonald

Yes, in her post she stated that she removed the popcorn first. Otherwise, I don't think the panels will stick.
    • AdrianaG

Probably not but since most popcorn ceilings have asbestos, it’s best to leave them alone.

• AdrianaG

• Jlnatty

I checked the website and these tiles can be applied directly over a popcorn ceiling, no need to remove it.
    • AdrianaG

Not to mention that popcorn removal is a Nasty time-consuming job

• X

Not all popcorn ceilings have asbestos. It is best to have a sample checked. We did and there was no asbestos. It has been so many years (24 !) that I don't remember how we had them checked. Maybe contact your local planning and development department either town or county. Best of luck !
    • Rub12902663

Thank you all!
  • Gabi

This seems almost as time consuming as scraping the ceiling. How does the adhesive stick to the popcorn since the popcorn is a superficial layer? The tiles wouldn't "pull it off"? I'd probably use beadboard on the ceiliing.

The other concern is if there's a leak somewhere above the ceiling you may not be able to tell with the tiles or wood covering.

• Marjo

That would be my question too. No way will the tiles lay smoothly onto the popcorn. Have to scrape first if you want a smooth installation.

• Pam Burley

I have not installed over popcorn ceiling. The company says it covers those types of ceilings. I will be using it in our Living Room in the future as it has a popcorn ceiling. Until then, I recommend contacting the company at 888-717-8453. I have found they are very helpful and great to work with.
  • GBay Girl

This is fantastic! Does this company ship to Canada?

• Bj

There's a company in Montreal - pay in Canadian dollars and ship to us.

• Pam Burley

The short answer is Yes. :-)
  • Brook Hauck Crowell

Did you have to caulk or sparkle in between the tiles or do they fit closely enough nothing is needed?

I have a horrible popcorn ceiling in my kitchen. It's impossible to clean and I would love something smoother.

Nice job by the way. 🙂

• Pam Burley

It depends on how tightly you can get them to fit against each other. My suggestion is simply to take your time, and get them as tight against each other as possible. If you end up with gaps, like I did in our bedroom, you can fill in with some white caulking.

• Brook Hauck Crowell

Nice job by the way. 🙂
    • Pam Burley

If you are careful enough, you might be able to get the tiles to butt up against each other enough that you won't have to calk between them. Just took me a bit of patience as I was working over my head and really wanted to make sure I got them tight against each other.
  • Trudy Coyle

Looks great, I'm curious to know the size of the room and to cost to do it. I have a large open kitchen / living room area I would like to do in a mobile home for the same reasons, to cover holes and imperfections. Can you tell me the size of your room and the cost to do this please? Thank you for your post, I love the look.

• Pam Burley

The room is about 11.5' X 11.5' and it cost around $180 for the tiles.
  • Rhonda Cook

Looks great! We also bought a house with popcorn ceilings with the plan to remodel but that has been a slow process due to raising our kids. Question - did you have to caulk in between the tiles?

• Pam Burley

I did in the bedroom. That was my first attempt and did not get the tiles butted up very well to each other. I don't have to do that in the dinning room though. Any little spots that the tiles didn't quite butt up to each other is so un-noticeable that I am not going to bother.
  • Darcy Boykin

Did you have to scrape any of the popcorn off before applying tile?

• Darcy Boykin

• Pam Burley

No, you don't have to scrape the popcorn ceiling before applying these tiles. They are made to cover it up. The only reason I scraped the popcorn ceiling off is because I had planned to do something different in the bedroom. I did not know about this product at the time. Because of the holes in the ceiling, and the crappy job the guy I hired to repair it, I had to find another solution. That is when I came across Talissa Decor and decided to use their tiles. They are made to go over popcorn ceilings, as well as knock down types. Hope this clarifies it. :-)
  • Debbie Rose

How did you replace the light fixture? And, am I understanding this correctly that you used the light fixture position as your starting point?
    • Pam Burley

I did take the light fixture down to do the first tile. We had a contractor re-center the light fixture so I used that as my starting point. If your fixture is not centered, you can find the center by using a chalk line making a big X on the ceiling. You should be able to square up the first tile using that, then work out from there.

• Debbie Rose

Thank you so much for clarifying your answer. I appreciate it.

• Shari Fryrear

I need this in my bathroom. Would you recommend this for a steamy bathroom? I am afraid all the water would bring it down or get mold easily. Please give me your input..
    • Pam Burley

Hmm... Not sure it would work well in a bathroom. The best thing to do is contact the company and talk to them. They are very helpful and good to work with. Their number is 888-717-8453
  • Tim Marshall

It’s a really lovely solution but you still had to remove the popcorn ceiling so it’s not really an easy fix. How did you remove the popcorn stucco? Many years ago when my wife and I moved into our home, there was a dreadful stucco ceiling that was, in some places, like stalagtites. We scrapped it down as we did not have the skill to replace the ceiling ourselves. It took us both 5 full days of bloodied knuckles. :)

• Nancy

I doesn’t look like the popcorn was removed. Check out one of the first pics where there are only a few tiles up

• Connie Coultas

Again, She already said they chose ceiling tiles which can be applied over popcorn ceilings. So she did not remove the popcorn, just glues tile over it. Seems an easy fix to me. :D
    • Kathleen Fleming

That doesn't look like a real popcorn ceiling. I had one and the popcorn was way more prominant and looked like popcorn. Small pieces popped off anytime it was touched. I wonder if the tiles would actually stay up on a real popcorn ceiling?

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

I sure wish the original Home talker Author Pam Burley would answer this question! The way the article is written it can be interpreted either way ! I myself would love to know if she knocked the popcorn down a little bit or not!

Please Pam Burley respond !

• Pam Burley

Sorry it has taken me so long to get you an answer. These tiles are made to go over popcorn ceilings as well as other types. The only reason I scraped the popcorn ceiling off is because I had planned to do something different in the bedroom. I did not know about this product at the time. Because of the holes in the ceiling, and the crappy job the guy I hired to repair it, I had to find another solution. That is when I came across Talissa Decor and decided to use their tiles. They are made to go over popcorn ceilings, as well as knock down types. Hope this clarifies it. :-)
  • Tim Marshall

You still had to remove the popcorn ceiling so it’s not really an easy fix. How did you remove the popcorn stucco? Many years ago when my wife and I moved into our home, there was a dreadful stucco ceiling that was, in some places, like stalagtites. We scrapped it down as we did not have the skill to replace the ceiling ourselves. It took 5 full days of bloodied knuckles. :)

• Connie Coultas

She already said they chose ceiling tiles which can be applied over popcorn ceilings. So she did not remove the popcorn, just glues tile over it. Seems an easy fix to me. :D
    • Kristen Crawford

Her ceilings were knock down texture not popcorn. I agree.... Not a true easy fix.

• Jun24316710

She said she scraped the popcorn ceiling off. Wonder how long it took and how difficult it was.
    • Kat5380845

ceilingceilingIsnt the popcorn ceiling aspestos material or used to be? We painted the popcorn with ceiling paint which worked for few years but time to make another decision these tiles are sharp yet with my luck & inexperience they will fall off in night because I didnt flatten popcorn smoothly or enough. Hee hee?
    • Kat5380845

Isn't the popcorn ceiling aspestos material or used to be? We painted the popcorn with ceiling paint which worked for few years but time to make another decision these tiles are sharp yet with my luck & inexperience they will fall off in night because I didnt flatten popcorn smoothly or enough. Hee hee? Well done love all of everyones cleverness so much.
    • Patricia

Tim Marshall....... This is in her paragraph..... . We chose the 20" 20" Polystyrene ceiling Tiles which can be applied over popcorn ceilings as well as over other materials.......

OVER THE POPCORN CEILING..... AND I LOVE IT!!!!

• Barbara Nord

She said when they first started projects they patched and repaired holes in ceiling. Then they scraped bedroom ceiling and found holes. She decided to find something to go over the popcorn because it was so time consuming. We bought these to do our kitchen. If it turns out this awesome...we may have to do other rooms.

P.S. to remove popcorn ceilings...spray a 4x4 area with water... wait 30 minutes for it to soak in...then using a sharp edge 6-9 inch putty knife, started scraping. Should peal like wallpaper. Stubborn areas resoak and come back to them. Make sure you cover everything including the floor because as is dries, it’s like glue.

• Pam Burley

HI. The only reason I scraped the popcorn ceiling off is because I had planned to do something different in the bedroom. I did not know about this product at the time. Because of the holes in the ceiling, and the crappy job the guy I hired to repair it, I had to find another solution. That is when I came across Talissa Decor and decided to use their tiles. They are made to go over popcorn ceilings, as well as knock down types. Hope this clarifies it. :-)

• Diena Cameron

Pam Burley, I think you did an excellent job and it looks beautiful. If people would click over to your website and read the "whole" story, then they would know WHY you scraped SOME and NOT others and that this product CAN be put directly OVER popcorn ceilings. I believe YOU clarified this perfectly, SEVERAL times 😉

• Cori Caswell

Are these panels fireproof or are they made of fire excellerant?

• Lael

I don't know the definite answer but I'm sure you could get a solid answer online or even from the CS department of the brand you choose. Good luck!

• Tammy Sea

I highly doubt that any company that created construction products would use a fire accelerant!

• Cori Caswell

I only ask because in Europe some apartment complex was wrapped in some insulation that turned out to be a cheap material that accelerated the fire killing many.

• Srrock

I have used these types of ceiling tiles in the past but will not ever use them again, we went out of town one weekend and when we returned we had melted tiles where a ballast in a florescent light fixture had got hot and melted the tiles leaving a bad smell (toxic) in the house, we imminently remove them, here is a article about the fire hazards of and the proper use of Polystyrene ceiling Tiles

• Pam Burley

Polystyrene is just a form of styrofoam so are not fireproof. The rooms I have put them in have only 40 or 60 watt light fixtures and I have not had any issues with them. You can get more info from the company. I have found them to be very helpful and great to work with. 888-717-8453

• Ricardo

Did you have to scrape all of the popcorn ceiling to smooth before you could hang the tiles?

• Carol

You can find the answer in the article (3rd paragraph, 3rd line: "which can be applied over popcorn ceilings"), looking at the 3rd picture, & using the tile link.
    • Penny Young

Carol let's be nice

• Pam Burley

Yes, the tiles can be applied over popcorn ceilings very easily. :-)

• Linda

I had thought of putting paneling up, pre painted white. Any comments about that? I was going to look for the one that has about 2” grooves. Seems faster than tiles. We have large split level. Painted once about 15 years ago.

• Kathy Farnham Sampson

I've thought about doing some type of bead board ceiling, too! The only thing I have read is that it has to be a special type for ceilings- maybe because of fire codes? I don't know. Old houses have bead board ceilings with no drywall underneath. I know drywall is fire resistant, so maybe as long as you have drywall first, then the paneling would be OK.

• Robyn Garner

I purchased inexpensive beadboard sheet at Home Depot and put it up over a bathroom ceiling where I had a leak/damage. It went up super easily by putting 1"x around the perimeter and screwing the beadboard sheet to the 1"x.

I disguised the screws with nail polish the same as the beadboard stain. This allows the new owners to access the upstairs plumbing without destroying anything.
  • Jil McDaniel

How much are the tiles?

• Mary Mosti

They are $135. for 50 tiles (135 sq ft) on amazon. I just checked 2 min before seeing your question.

• Lorraine

Love it CAN THIS BE DONE OVER THE PAPER CEILING SQUARES OF YEARS AGO?? dOES IT CUT EASILY????????????????????

• Pam Burley

Cuts super easy with razor or box cutter. Not sure about paper ceiling squares. The Talissa Decor company can be reached at 888-717-8453. I have found them to be very helpful and good to work with.

• Lynn canter

Can u buy these locally? Like Lowes or Home Depot?
    • Pam Burley

I do not know. I do know Lowe's has a sort of plastic type that can be used as a backsplash, but other than that .....

• Yvonne

Are these tiles finished or can they be painted?

• Daw8467603

I don't know the answer but just wanted to say I know where Pinconning MI is!

• Pam Burley

They can be left as is, or painted. The ones I have used come white and have a smooth look. I painted the ones in my bedroom but left the ones shown in our dinning room as is. I am happy with both.

• Jerry Jean

Do you have to scrape off the popcorn off the ceiling

• JoAnn Herrera Castillo

I have popcorn ceiling in my house my house was built in 68 but the problem is there could be abesto. You have to check before you start scraping.

• Cheryl

I have wood burning fire place insert. Main source of heat . House is hot. Probably 90 degrees on an 8 foot ceiling overnight . Where I have candles up high sometimes they bend from the heat. So will these melt and fall down?

• Michele Stromberg

Do you know if this can be used in a bathroom? I'm concerned that the glue would not hold due to humidity. Thank you

• Mary

I have celetex tiles on my ceilings already. Do i have to tear them down? I,m not sureif there is a solid ceiling above them.

• Pat G

Was this a popcorn ceiling or just a textured one? I think it would make a big difference.

• Opal Benton Eddens

How expensive are the tiles? Very nice look!

• Shirley Cunningham DuBose

Love it, was thinking of doing this in my house. you just helped me make up my mind. but I do have one question, how long ago did you do this and how is it holding up?

• Linda Craft

How much did it cost to do a room (please give dimensions )

• Linda Craft

• Ger8518183

How much are the tiles?

• Rosalyn Stasney Rodgers

How is the upkeep? My popcorn ceilings in the kitchen collect dust and smoke.

• Pam Burley

Upkeep seems to be easy. The ceiling in my bedroom has been in for a number of years now and I have only had to dust off cobwebs occasionally. If it ever starts looking dingy, I can just re-paint it.

• Judy Marlar

Did you scrape ofg the popcorn ceiling or glue tiles onto it?

• Maria Athanasiou

Popcorn ceilings are a health hazard and need to be removed by professionals and all the stuffed sucked into large bags because it

can cause cancer!!!!

• Marilyn Jones

If you dampen popcorn ceiling you can scrape it off safely

• Carol K

My husband RIP was a tape texture guy 55 years and we took off and retextured but before I would do this tile thing I would spray light WITH WATER SMALL SECTIONS AT A TIME WEAR MASK GLOVES AND COVER FLOOR TO CATCH CEILING WASTE !! AND ITS SOMETING THAT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FROM HOMES

• Sweetcini

some popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, so use caution. it's best to prime, paint and leave in place unless a professional removes it. if it doesn't have asbestos, spray with water and the stuff will drip off the ceiling!

• Pam Burley

The company says you can apply their tiles directly to popcorn ceilings. This would be good for older popcorn ceilings as it would seal in any flaking aspestos.

• Pam Burley

The company says you can apply their tiles directly to popcorn ceilings. This would be good for older popcorn ceilings as it would seal in any flaking asbestos.

• Carla Freeman

Do you have to remove popcorn ceilings

• Alice

I have paint peeling from my bedroom ceiling...I assume if I scraped the paint, then these would stick??

• Pam Burley

You would need to scrape off the loose bits, but otherwise it should stick just fine.

• Ele

We have electric heat; can you use these tiles with a heated ceiling?

• Nadine Richards

How expensive for tiles????????

• Vicky Corey

Nadine, the post says $220.00. You should be able to look the product name up and get a price. I hope this helps.

• BlueCatBlu

Looks really nice. Just a question. I was told polystyrene tiles are dangerous to have in a house, especially during a fire. Toxic fumes and the drips from the polystyrene when it's on fire causes more fires. Or is polystyrene different now?

• Pam Burley

If you are concerned about fire, then I would suggest avoiding this product. Personally, and having gone through a house fire years ago, this is the least of my concerns when it comes to possible fire. As always, take safety precautions around outlets, heaters, etc. The tiles I chose are made of the same material as styrofoam cups, only thinner and less porous. I would avoid using these in a kitchen.

• Carolyn hodges

It’s beautiful! Did you have to remove the popcorn layer before adhering the tiles?

• Dan

I have the same question. Do you have to remove the popcorn from your ceilings? Can someone please answer this.

• Sherry Bryan

Same question where do I go for the answer