DIY Project. Upcycle Your Old Frame Into Trendy Bookshelf.

$100

I had this project in my mind for a few months but I couldn’t find good frame anywhere. I was visiting my local second-hand store almost every day… I didn’t want to spend a lot of money for a new frame so used one was the best option for me. And one day I found what I was looking for 😊
diy project upcycle your old frame into trendy bookshelf
Step 1 - Gold color was wonderful but didn’t match my space so I decided to change it to silver. I put two coats of Annie Sloan Graphite chalk paint.
Step 2 – I put silver Pebeo gilding wax on my frame. I start with a little amount of it as it is very efficient. 
Step 3 – I polished it with 600 grit sand paper. Thanks to this you can see wood structure on my frame. 
Step 4 – My husband (handy man) build a shelf. He used for it melamine boards from Home Depot.
Step 5 -  We glued frame to shelf using “No More Nails” glue from Home Depot 

• Joy Bennett

looks great. How did you mount it to the wall? And is it just open on the sides?

• Sherry

Confused. Is the shelf (bookcase) sticking out from the wall or is it built into the wall?

• Ellen

It looks like it sticks out, however, I think this is a great idea for a flat against the wall built-in shelf unit (or for a recessed shelving unit you can make yourself -if you own the place...not okay for renters!). Also if you use command strips to adhere to the shelving unit, you can trade out frames when you want.

• Susan Clark Ponce

I Loooove what you have created here. This is an exceptionally beautiful frame. You and your husband should be proud of your accomplishment.. Thank-you for sharing such a delightful project.

• Frances

It loooks as though the shelf sits inside the wall which to me would look even better! Not saying it’s not nice,,, it’s gorgeous and a lovely piece!