Macrame Heart Wall Hanging

$50

Why not make a bright pink macrame wall hanging for Valentine's Day?... with a heart design!
macrame heart wall hanging
I’ve been known to wear my heart on my sleeve, but this Valentine’s Day I prefer to place it on the wall. So I got my hands on some  beautiful pink rope and made this whimsical macrame heart wall hanging. 

To add a bit of bling to the dowel rod, I painted the ends with gold craft paint.

I then cut 16 pieces of rope, each measuring 20 feet. Always apply tape to the ends of the rope pieces to prevent fraying.

LARK'S HEAD KNOTS -

With the 16 pieces of rope, tie  Lark’s Head Knots onto the pole, as shown below.
macrame heart wall hanging
SQUARE KNOTS -

Starting with the first 4 cords on the left, make a row of 8  Square Knots.
macrame heart wall hanging
HALF SQUARE SPIRAL KNOTS -

Starting with the 3rd individual cord from the left, make a row of 7 Half Square Spiral Knots, as shown below. This is the same as tying a Square Knot but you are always starting from the same side. This causes the strand of knots to twist. Continue weaving each vertical row of spiral knots until it is about 4″ long. 
macrame heart wall hanging
HEART DESIGN -

Beneath the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th Spiral Knots, tie one Square Knot.
macrame heart wall hanging
Next, starting with the 5th individual cord from the left, make a row across of 6 Square Knots. Be careful to keep the horizontal row even.
macrame heart wall hanging
Next, beginning with the 3rd individual cord on the left, make another row of 7  Alternating Square Knots. 
macrame heart wall hanging
Now, beginning with the 5th individual cord from the left, make an Alternating Square Knot, skip 4 individual cords, make 2 Alternating Square Knots, skip 4 individual cords, then make a final Alternating Square Knot. (See photo below.)
macrame heart wall hanging
Beginning with the 3rd individual cord from the left, make 2 Alternating Square Knots, skip 4 cords, make another Alternating Square Knot, skip 4 cords, then make 2 Alternating Square Knots.
macrame heart wall hanging
Beginning with the 5th individual cord from the left, make 2 Alternating Square Knots, skip 8 cords, then make 2 Alternating Square Knots.
macrame heart wall hanging
Continue weaving the wall hanging in this way, following the steps below:
  • Starting with the 7th individual cord from left, make 2 Alternating Square Knots, skip 4 cords, make 2 Alternating Square Knots
  • Starting with the 9th cord from left, make 4 Alternating Square Knots
  • Starting with the 11th cord form left, make 3 Alternating Square Knots
macrame heart wall hanging
  • Starting with the 13th cord from left, make 2 Alternating Square Knots
  • Starting with the 15th cord from left, make 1 Alternating Square Knot in the center
macrame heart wall hanging
FINISHING TOUCHES -

Now that the heart design is finished, about 5″ down from the bottom edges of the heart, make 8 Square Knots (beginning with the 1st individual cord on left) in diagonal lines coming to a point at the bottom. See photo below.
macrame heart wall hanging
Starting with the 3rd individual cord form the left, make 7 Half Square Spiral Knots (each about 4″  long), as shown below.
macrame heart wall hanging
Next, tie knots into the loose hanging cords at random heights. Cut the bottom of the wall hanging so the sides are shorter and graduate down to a point in the center. Untwist the ends of the cords below the random knots so they will gently fray.

As a final added touch, I tied an extra cord onto each end of the wall hanging, using a Lark’s Head Knot. And that’s it! A funky little wall hanging to celebrate Valentine’s Day!

macrame heart wall hanging

• 24" long wooden dowel  (hardware store)
  • Metallic gold craft paint
  • 320 feet of 5mm cotton rope (fuchsia)  (amazon online)

Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com