Tootie Trouy
Tootie Trouy
  • Millington, TN

Tin Ceiling Tutorial

$150
1 Day

Adding character to your ceilings using rusted Barn tin!

I often joke that Rust is my favorite color. And when we decided to cover up the nasty, 1968 original, 2% asbestos containing (don’t even get me started) popcorn ceiling, I KNEW I wanted to use rusted tin somewhere.
tin ceiling tutorial
Step 1: Find your ceiling joists. This is what you are going to be screwing your tin sheets into, so first, you need to find them. This can be done with a stud finder or by using a drill.

Step 2: Mark your ceiling joists. Once you have gone down the side of the room and have located your joists, you will need to use chalk to mark them. This will be important so that as you move across the room, you can still see where you will need to secure the material.
tin ceiling tutorial
Step 3: Install the tin. As you begin to install the material, some pieces will need to be cut to fit. Similar to flooring, you may have a light fixture, a ceiling vent or a corner to deal with. We used tin snips for ours, but there are many other tools that would work as well. Once you have the cuts completed and the piece is fitted, you attach it to the ceiling joists using Self-Tapping metal screws. Any type of screw should do, but the self-tapping ones make it significantly easier to drill through the metal itself.
tin ceiling tutorial
And that, my friends, is all there is to it! Our ceilings are always a topic of conversation and I absolutely loved using an unconventional material in our renovation. Design doesn’t have to be boring. It doesn’t have to fit inside of the walls of the “box”.
tin ceiling tutorial
It can be fun and unexpected. Most of all, it can be YOU. After all, you're the one who lives there. You are the one who should enjoy your Home.

So, step outside the “box” friends and let your creativity loose!
Tootie Trouy

• Why not invest in a ladder? We put beautiful copper Styrofoam ceiling tiles 20x20 on a bathroom ceiling, Gorgeous!

• Susan

Beautiful. Where did u get ur pendant light?

• Dianne Spriks Olson

how can the tin be "rusted"?????

• Jill Ron Pike

One other hometalker used toilet bowl cleaner and let the piece sit outside overnight. She sanded some areas to "rust" them. I use vinegar and salt. Spray vinegar over the piece, then rub salt on it. Let sit until you start to see a change. Rinse thoroughly when it gets the look you want.

• Jeannine Burnett

Wow - I love this!

• Donna

I love how you thought outside the box and designed to fit your taste. Although rust is not my favorite color, you have encouraged me to explore options for covering my ugly popcorn ceilings. Thank you

• Brenda

Another option is mobile home underpinning. Youu can purchase the underpinning at Home Depot... I have seen these used and it makes a beautiful metal ceiling. No rust on these. Make sure you ask for metal underpinning, as there are other materials used.