Two End Tables = One Storage Cabinet

$30
Advanced

Do you have a piece or pieces of furniture that you’re not using but you’re in need of something else? Deconstruction is the answer!

I found these two endtables on Facebook Marketplace for $20. The left one has two leaves that fold down and the right one has two drawers. I knew this is what I needed to make a one of a kind storage cabinet.

I began by disconstructing the table with the leaves. Using a screwdriver and a little muscle it came apart easily and I was left with a lot of pieces to work with.

I sanded all of the pieces along with sanding the entire table with the two drawers.

Now for construction:

A-I wanted to make the leaves into doors so I measured them and build a frame using scrap 1”x2” pine

B-I build two “U” shapes for the front and back and attached the them to the top of the leaf table. This would be the top of the cabinet.

C-I place this onto the 2 drawer table to make sure it fit.

A-I used the side pieces of the leaf table to secure the ”U” shapes to the two drawer table

B-using screws from the orginial table

C-With scrap plywood I added sides

D-And pegboard to the back

A-Measuring all around the cabinet

B-I cut trim

C-And attached with an air nailer

A-Using two legs from the leaf table

B-I cut off the bottoms

C-And the middle pieces to make risers for shelves

For the shelves

A-I measured and cut shelves from scrap plywood

B-Cutting out notches so they would fit flush to the sides of the cabinet

C-I spray painted the leg pieces copper and painted the shelves white

D-I placed the legs where I wanted them and made sure the shelves fit properly. I also added a small piece of wood to the side of the cabinet where the shelf would rest.

E-I added trim to two of the sides of each of the shelves

F-Using an airnailer, I attached the legs to the cabinet and the shelves to the legs.

For shelving on the top of the cabinet

A-I used the side pieces of the leaf cabinet, removing the small pieces that held the drawer

B-I used the wings that once held up the leaves

C-I attached the two side pieces to the wings with screws from the orgininal table. Because the wings were curved, I used small bits of wood to make the shelves level.

D-I added to rim to edges of the shelves

E-And trim to the front

F-I painted the entire shelving white

G-and attached it to the top of the cabinet with screws

Hardware

I spray painted the existing knobs and put them back onto the two drawers. I only had one knob left so I purchased two simple pulls

A-I spray painted them the same color as the knobs

B-Measured the front of the doors

C-Drilled holes through the doors

D- The screws that came with the pulls were a little long so I added a washer to the screw and screwed it through the hole

E-And screwed on the pulls

The outside of the cabinet was complete!

Now for the inside.

A-I wanted to dress up the inside a bit so I used wrapping paper I had on hand. I cut it to fit

B-Applied Mod Podge to the wrong side

C-And attached it to the inside side of the cabinet, smoothing it with a credit card

To add hanging space

A-I attached cord holder Command Hooks to either side

B-Slid a piece of dowel through the hooks and cut it to size

C-I used this to hang spools of thread and washi tape

To add items to the peg board

A-I purchased dowel that would fit into the holes of the peg board and using a basket I had on hand

B-I threaded the dowel through the basket on either end and cut the dowel to size

C-I placed the dowels into the holes of the pegboard and hung the basket

I used the baskets to store smaller,lightweight items

A-Here is the finished cabinet! The bottom is the orginial table with two drawers. The only thing I did to that table was sand it, paint it white and paint the knobs on the drawers.

B-The shelving holds pens, twine, my Xrons and a basket of odd and ends

C-The top shelving looks so pretty and is very useful

D-I stapled a piece of elastic to either side at the bottom. This is great to hold roles of paper and vinyl

E-The thin shelf at the top is made from one of the sides and trimmed out to hold paint bottles. More dowel pegs were added to hold another basket and a pair of scissors.

The only thing I had to purchase was hardware for the doors, a dowel and a few pieces of trim. Everything else were items I had on hand or pieces of the original side tables including the screws!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Thunderbird Forest Pine Boards 1 " X 2 " X 4 ' Pine

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs

• Aryeh Kaufman
    Aryeh Kaufman

Very cool. This reminded me of the children's story book: "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel"

• Carol Cole
    Carol Cole

absolutely beautiful. Great job. I love it that women are getting into making different things out of things.