Teri.jeffrey
Teri.jeffrey
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Port Richey, FL

Updated Thrift Store Lazy Susan

$1

How could anyone pass up a 75 cent lazy susan even if it needs some TLC? A little cleaning, sanding, painting, stenciling and a touch of metallic and it is now my table centerpiece.

For this project, I decided that all of my supplies had to be things that I already have on hand so that my current total out-of-pocket was less than $1. Let the challenge begin.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Neglected Lazy Susan
Neglected Lazy Susan
Yes, the real item looked as sad as this picture. First order of business was to take it apart and thoroughly clean it.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Disassembled Lazy Susan
Disassembled Lazy Susan
From the bottom, I was able to remove the screw holding the base and ball bearing ring from the top tray. With a 50/50 solution of alcohol and water, I lightly wiped all of the surfaces and lightly sanded.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Annie Sloan to the Rescue
Annie Sloan to the Rescue
I wanted to use the piece as an all-season centerpiece so went with Annie Sloan Old Ochre Chalk Paint. I always have this on hand as it’s a great neutral color.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Why I Love Chalk Paint
Why I Love Chalk Paint
In addition to the ease of using chalk paint, I love the fluidity and rhythm of applying it. With paint strokes going in any direction, it’s easy to get lost in the almost zen-like application.
updated thrift store lazy susan, From Stained Original to Old Ochre
From Stained Original to Old Ochre
Both the top and bottom were painted with two coats.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Stencil Time
Stencil Time
Using the color schemes of my room, I decided to stencil a feather on the tray. With stencils that require a texture feel, I like to use an old toothbrush to apply the paint.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Brown Background
Brown Background
Using the toothbrush as a dabber, I applied brown chalk paint in various thickness.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Teal Takes Over
Teal Takes Over
Using the same application method, I added teal over the dried brown color and removed the stencil. Now the entire piece was waxed with Annie Sloan Clear Wax.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Gilders Wax for Bling
Gilders Wax for Bling
Using patina and german silver Gilders Wax, I lightly applied the colors to various parts of the feather for highlighting.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Border Bling
Border Bling
Sometimes you just need more bling, so I added the Gilders Wax to the rim of the top tray to liven it up.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Before After
Before & After
Yes, the 75 cent ugly duckling was worth the money and hour that this project took to complete.
updated thrift store lazy susan, Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece
A small plant and a rabbit on the new lazy susan gives my small table a perfect holiday centerpiece.

• Thrift Store Lazy Susan  (Local Thrift Store)
  • Annie Sloan Chalk Paint & Wax  (On hand)
  • Feather Stencil  (On hand)