How to Make Lanterns From Scrap Wood

$5

I love scrap wood projects! If you have been working with wood for any length of time you have probably built up an awesome pile of wood. I say awesome because there are so many amazing projects that can be made from scrap wood. So protect those scraps from anyone at all costs and stick with me through this post and I will show you how to make your own scrap wood lanterns.

These lanterns will work fabulous on the front porch, in the backyard or inside as a decor item on a console table.

Not including the drawer knobs my lanterns measured 17 inches for the small lantern and almost 21 inches for the larger lantern.

Start out by sifting through your pile of scrap wood.
These are the pieces that made up each lantern.
Once my cuts were done I glued and nailed (1 1/4 inch 18G brad nails) the supports to the bottom piece.  I used a square to help with placement.  
Next I glued and nailed (1 1/4 inch 18G brad nails) the two top pieces together and then glued and nailed the top to the four support pieces. 
I glued and nailed the four feet to the bottom piece. 
I filled any gaps and nail holes with wood filler.

Then I painted the lanterns with paint I had on hand.  The small lantern was painted with Sherwin Williams Rainwashed and the large lantern with a flat white paint.  After the paint dried, I sanded all the edges again.  Then I mixed 4:1 water to gray paint, painted it on the lanterns and wiped it off.  This gave it an aged/worn look. I painted one of the drawer knobs and sanded the paint in spots and finished it with a sprayed exterior waterproof sealer.  The other drawer knob I left as is. I drilled a hole in the top to attach the knobs. 

You could definitely add an LED candle or vase with some vase filler to spruce it up even more.

I love how they turned out and I plan to go through my scrap pile and make more. What amazing stuff have you made with scraps?  Would love for you to share in the comments below.  

If you are looking for other scrap wood project check out these Custom Made Shelves for the Cabinet and these DIY Rustic Christmas Ornaments.

Thank so much for learning to make these lanterns.

Happy building,

Tiffany

Tiffany from Dream Design DIY