Use Mod Podge to Transform Your Most Boring Piece of Furniture!

$10

Grab a piece of your favourite paper, a container of Mod Podge and turn the ugliest and most boring piece of furniture into a piece of art.
use mod podge to transform your most boring piece of furniture
I forgot to take a picture of the top of this set of drawer so you will just have to trust me when I say it was B-A-D. It had water damage, the veneer was peeling up and even after I took an electric sander too it, it was still rough and uneven. My solution?
My solution?  Grab some matte Mod Podge!  I don't use Mod Podge very often.  I actually find it a bit hard to work with.  For this project though, I thought it might just be thing I needed.

I had picked up this vintage inspired paper a couple of years ago when I was in Pennsylvania ( see what else I found here!)  to take a class with Marion Parsons (AKA Miss Mustard Seed!  eeek! Want to see? Visit this post... ) and had such big plans for it but just never got to it.  And guess what... turns out that was a good thing because it was the perfect size for the set of drawers. 

Before applying any Mod Podge, I made sure the paper fit the way I would like it in order to frame the picture on the top.  I creased the edges once I had it in place to make putting it on later easier.
A thin layer of Mod Podge was applied.  With the piece not being overly big, I decided to apply it on the entire top and work with the paper all at once.  I wanted the paper to have a really aged look so I wasn't concerned about crinkles and tears.   
To finish off the edges, I ran a straight blade along the edge and sliced off the excess paper.  Since I wasn't worry about the paper looking worn, I wasn't very careful and let the paper rip at will ;) 
Even though I don't use Mod Podge very often, I would definitely recommend this method when a piece just can't be fixed. 

Find some gorgeous paper, and let it become your new top.

To see more pictures and some tips on how to get a crinkly, old look to the paper, hop over to the original post on the Recreated Designs blog...

Recreated Designs