Girls Build Club
Girls Build Club
  • Florissant, CO

Painted and Decoupaged Rose Garden Bench DIY

$30

This tutorial will describe how to hand-paint and decoupage this rose garden design on a bench or whatever piece of furniture you have in mind. It's a real statement piece of furniture for anyone who loves colorful, one-of-a-kind pieces. It may look complicated, and it does take several steps, but I'll show you exactly how I got this look. You can do it!

painted and decoupaged rose garden bench diy
First I built the bench. You can, too, or you can use some furniture you already have sitting around. To see how I built the bench, check out the blog post at Girls Build Club.
Okay, now that we have a bench, let's paint it black. The entire thing! The base and the bench seat. In this photo, only the bench seat is black, but you'll see that by the end I have painted the base black, too. So you might as well do it all at once. I didn't use any special kind of paint. I literally used a $0.99 bottle of craft paint for this.
I taped off a border on the edge of the bench seat, so it didn't get painted any further. Then I started painting white blobs, which would eventually be red roses, and the white vine and filigree. I did sorta-kinda sketch this out to begin with so I had an idea of how it would play out on the bench. But trust me, it never turns out like my sketch!
Once I had the white design painted, I painted over all the white circular blobs with red paint. I painted the red in a messy spiral pattern, leaving bits of white unpainted.
Then, with a black paint pen, I went over all the red roses and drew in a messy black spiral on top of them. I also went over all the white filigree vines and leaves and added some leaf vein lines and details. Almost done!
For that border we had taped off, I ended up sanding off the black paint along that edge of the bench and decoupaging a border of decorative paper. I think the black and white floral paper really complements the hand-painted portion well.

Of course, per usual for me, I went over the whole thing with a sander and distressed it. :) I just love how distressing furniture softens the details, and hides mistakes. Makes it look like a well-loved, well-worn piece of home.
If you'd like to receive updates of when I post similar projects, head on over to  Girls Build Club and sign up for the newsletter. I'll keep you in the know. :) Thanks for reading!

Girls Build Club

• Barbara Molter-Porter

I have a cement bench in my garden, to heavy to move, could I do this on the top and what would I use to start and end this project. Must last through our winter months

• Robyn Garner

Actually, you can use whatever cheap latex paint you have available. First, soak the concrete and mix the paint into water so it's barely colored. Use this wash to cover the concrete you want to paint. Concrete is porous so you want to soak it with water and the wash a couple of times. Then, proceed per the instructions for painting, again use cheap latex/acrylic paints.

Once your work is finished, coat it with Marine Sealant to keep the colors (it has UV protection in it) and to keep the work intact.

• Cee28772286

Love love love this!!! beautiful job! did i understand correctly that you used black bottled craft paint?

• Girls Build Club

Thank you!! That’s right, I used Americana acrylic craft paint. I’ve had pretty good luck with it being painted straight onto wood. I typically go for a distressed look anyway so it’s okay to me if it doesn’t adhere perfectly. If you want it to be perfect I’d prime the wood first and use a higher quality paint.