Make Some Gorgeous Fabric Flowers From Old Bed Sheets.

$5

I love real flowers, but unfortunately, they don't last very long and their water really stinks after awhile. So I also love to fill my house with gorgeous faux flowers.

In fact, one of my most pinned and viewed projects are my simple but beautiful map roses.

This time I decided to use fabric to make my faux flowers and watercolour them with Sharpies.

make some gorgeous fabric flowers from old bed sheets
All you need is an old cotton bed sheet or pillowcase. Some colorful Sharpies (like these ones here), tacky glue, craft wire and rubbing alcohol.
Cut the craft/floristry wire into lengths about 30cm long. Then twist them into a petal shape with a stem.
Using the tacky glue stick the petal wire shapes onto the bed sheet. You will have to make sure the petals are flat and you may want to hold them down with a heavy object whilst they dry.
Once dry cut out the petals from the sheet.
To color, the petals, use the sharpies to color them in. I used Sharpies in a variety of pinks, reds, and purples but you can use any color you fancy. To achieve a watercolor effect spray the petals with rubbing alcohol and the colors will then run into one another.
To make the flowers. First, carefully bend and shape your petals so they are less flat. Then get a wire stem and cover it with floristry wire.
Attach the petal to the stem by wrapping around the loose wire.
Carry on adding petals like this until you have them all attached. My flowers had five to six petals each.
Finish off by hiding the craft wire with more florists tape.
I actually kept some of my fabric flowers plain so I had a mixture of white and pink flowers.

What color would you make your flowers?
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Bonnie Jensen

What about sheets that are colored or have a design on them? Any suggestions? I'm teaching a group of 6th graders about recycling, etc. I think this would be a great project for them using old sheets. Or old t-shirts?

• Debbie Wright

I think that would be fine, they would have a texture to them. I’m a florist and your still teaching the students to recycle and they will have learned something they will never forget. I still remember things I learned in school since it was so much fun! Good luck, I would maybe use markers matching colors in the sheets.

• Bec14303296

Yes, I will try this project. I live in Germany and I do not know if I can get this tacky glue anywhere here. ,..maybe I can use the hot glue instead?

• Patti Zapf

i wonder would acrylic paints do as well. I do a lot of crafts with them so I would like to try it!

• V Valencia

very unique...and artsy looking....have you tried ribbon flowers?

• V Valencia

If you look at the links I provided in the response above, you'll see some samples of ribbon flowers. They can be used to decorate many things.