Ann
Ann
  • Medford, OR

DIY Butterfly Wind Chime for Mother's Day

$7

Looking for a unique and beautiful gift for Mom this year? Do what I did and make her a special butterfly wind chime with items from The Dollar Store.
diy butterfly wind chime for mother s day
I went shopping for a large butterfly themed wind chime and didn't like the prices or the designs. So I shopped the Dollar Store garden decor aisle and bought 5 metal butterflies, tinkling wind chimes and a hanging metal basket for the lightweight chains and got to work.
I used a few things from my stash, like extra wind chime pipes that I'd saved, split rings and jewelry wires. In the garden shed I found a round metal plant ring that was the perfect header. The hanging basket from the Dollar Store had 36" of lightweight chain, exactly what I needed for this project.
I used needle nose pliers and wire cutters for this wind chime. I really like the way this turned out! It is 30" top to bottom and it is so beautiful. The filigree butterflies are brightly painted and light shines through the glass marble "bodies."
I also dry brushed all the metal parts with copper Patio Paint. Nice! I know my mom will like it and no one will have a wind chime exactly like hers! And almost the best part? It cost less than $10. In fact, it cost $7 and a couple of hours to put it together.

• 5 metal filigree butterflies  (Dollar Store)
  • 1 miniature "jeweled" wind chime  (Dollar Store)
  • 1 light weight chain  (Dollar Store hanging basket)
Ann

• Cam Newbill

Where do you find the ones you saved when you find a project you like?

• Ann

At the bottom of the page are two options...one is a comment option and the other is I want to try this. When you click the I want to try this button it saves to your personal wall (which you can find by clicking your photo on your log in page.) At the top left hand corner is a red "save" option which saves your favorites to Pinterest. That's where I save the projects I'm interested in trying. Hope this helps!!