Inexpensive DIY Fire Pit

$90

Happy memorial day weekend everyone! My husband and I are working hard to make our yard look nicer, so we decided to ditch out our portable metal fire pit for a permanent one. If you're interested in building one yourself, check out the minimal steps to achieve one of your own!

inexpensive diy fire pit
The process isn't too complicated but there is a bit of manual labor involved. Firstly, we Jerry-rigged up a compass with some string, a stick and some marking paint to mark our circle. Then we dug up the marked ground a few inches in depth. We leveled out the ground the best we could with a level and a long enough piece of wood, this step took the longest.
inexpensive diy fire pit
Once the the hole was dug and leveled, we then poured the paver base all around it, tampered it down then we were ready to put the first level of blocks down.
inexpensive diy fire pit
Once we put the first layer of blocks down, we gave them a quick hit with a rubber mallet, helping them set into the ground more. Now onto the rest of the layers.
inexpensive diy fire pit
The next two layers, we chipped off the lip on the retaining wall blocks so they can sit flush with each other. Which wasn't hard at all, and actually quite fun to do, until we had to clean up the mess
inexpensive diy fire pit
We then applied landscape adhesive to the top of each block and set the next layer in place. This is applied so the blocks wont shift and stay in place no matter what.
inexpensive diy fire pit
Once we were done putting down the blocks we set down 2 bags of granite rocks to fill the fire pit in. This is for drainage if it rains and extra protection from weeds.
inexpensive diy fire pit
Annnnd done! We need to wait a few days for the adhesive to fully dry to use it, in the mean time we plan on putting some type of pea stone down around it.

Thanks for reading!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 10, 2018 11:30 PM - More info

• Christy

I want to try this. Curious as to why you didn’t lay a layer of fire brick of have open holes to allow the fire air flow?

• Spi15872845

I was wondering what the approximate diameter of your fire pit is and about how many stones you used? I'm trying to get a general idea of cost for this in my area. Thanks! Great tutorial!!

• Tony Findlay

I’ve been wanting to do this for my backyard and this is great. I’ll most likely put a fire ring inside mine. One question I do have with these outdoor fire pits is how do you clean them?

• Linda

love the way this looks, and sort of ease in making it, think I will give it a try. thanks for posting.

• Sandra Jean Adkins

This will be a temporary fire pit. We went the extra mile and bought fireplace liner brick so the exterior block would not crack due to heat. We also made our fire put several blocks larger. I clean mine after each fire so I didn’t put any gravel in it. I used sand as a base around the block and mortor that was actually not hard to do. Great project.