Inexpensive DIY Fire Pit

$90

Happy memorial day weekend everyone! My husband and I are working hard to make our yard look nicer, so we decided to ditch out our portable metal fire pit for a permanent one. If you're interested in building one yourself, check out the minimal steps to achieve one of your own!

The process isn't too complicated but there is a bit of manual labor involved. Firstly, we Jerry-rigged up a compass with some string, a stick and some marking paint to mark our circle. Then we dug up the marked ground a few inches in depth. We leveled out the ground the best we could with a level and a long enough piece of wood, this step took the longest.
Once the the hole was dug and leveled, we then poured the paver base all around it, tampered it down then we were ready to put the first level of blocks down.
Once we put the first layer of blocks down, we gave them a quick hit with a rubber mallet, helping them set into the ground more. Now onto the rest of the layers.
The next two layers, we chipped off the lip on the retaining wall blocks so they can sit flush with each other. Which wasn't hard at all, and actually quite fun to do, until we had to clean up the mess
We then applied landscape adhesive to the top of each block and set the next layer in place. This is applied so the blocks wont shift and stay in place no matter what.
Once we were done putting down the blocks we set down 2 bags of granite rocks to fill the fire pit in. This is for drainage if it rains and extra protection from weeds.
Annnnd done! We need to wait a few days for the adhesive to fully dry to use it, in the mean time we plan on putting some type of pea stone down around it.

Thanks for reading!

• Spi15872845

I was wondering what the approximate diameter of your fire pit is and about how many stones you used? I'm trying to get a general idea of cost for this in my area. Thanks! Great tutorial!!

• Jim Cox

The stones are 7" front to back on Homedepot.com. From looking at the pic, I'd estimate 50" across. The top layer is 12 stones, so with three layers that's 36 stones. I like that they chipped the 'retaining wall' edge off of the stones, and it's a good look :)

• Tony Findlay

I’ve been wanting to do this for my backyard and this is great. I’ll most likely put a fire ring inside mine. One question I do have with these outdoor fire pits is how do you clean them?

• Jody Davis

I use a small garden rake that I had when my kids were little and an aluminum dust pan, rake the ash into the dustpan and my wife loves to use the ash on her roses

• Carol

After your done and you have your first fire what do you do with the ashes ? When you clean out the ashes don’t you pick up 1/2 the granite?

• Megan

I did this with the same type of bricks after a while all of mine started cracking in half also I had to creat an air

opening on the first ground level row for airflow to keep the fire burning!

• Dannchy

What do you use to start the fire and to keep it burning? Some fuel?  I'm not familiar with this...