DIY Succulent Dish Garden - Repurpose

I LOVE a good re-purpose and I LOVE succulents so this is one of my favorite recent projects.
I re-purposed something from the hardware store to use as my dish. Can you guess what it is from the second photo?
Read on my blog the funny story that goes along with the AHA! moment I had at the hardware store when coming up with the idea.
This is soooo easy & looks so good, don't you think? And have you seen how expensive those succulent planters are in the shops? Here in LA something this size would go for $40 - $50. Crazy, right?…when you can make one for about $10 - $12.
Well let's get to it!
Here is my finished succulent dish garden.
Can you guess from this side photo what I used as the "dish"? ( I love the fluting! )
I bet some of you guessed. I used a galvanized end cap used for heating/duct work. Mine is 8". They come in 6" & 4" as well.
Chose the size end cap you want. Then buy some small succulents in 2" pots. If you have pebbles & soil on hand great. If not pick up a small bag of each. I have a pebble area in my yard so I just grabbed a few handfuls.
Line your end cap, well let's call it a "dish" now with pebbles. Then add some soil. Tuck in your little succulents. Add soil and a layer of pebbles on top.
Take off your gardening gloves…stand back….
and admire your handiwork! Wonderful centerpiece, hostess or teacher gift.
Thanks for letting me share my new favorite re-purpose with you. Come on by my blog for more projects, garden tips/ideas, recipes and some laughs!

Kelly@mysoulfulhome

• Betty Smith

Will you use this arrangement outside?

• Carolyn Noyer

Is this flat? To me the first picture looks like it's "towered" (more up in the middle). I recently made a succulent garden (does not have nearly as many plants in it as yours). My grandson bought me 4 baby's, I put them in a 3 sided pot I got at the dollar store, put a shell in by a couple of them and set a rabbit holding a sign, "welcome to my garden" by it. I would put a picture on here, but I don't know how.

• Tiffany Michelle Lawson

How do you keep from breaking your babies? Whn I plant and move myour babies at all they break. Lucky that is the start of a new baby but it starts gaps. Also what about drainage? These things are horrible for there love hate with water.

• Jane

I think I would punch holes in the bottom because I don't have good luck without them. As for the the little pieces falling off, I find that the fresher the plant the less they break off. I also use very thin instruments, like chopsticks or dental tools and long tweezers as much as possible to move them or place them. It's a bit trying but does help keep them whole.

• Denise

I have many small succulent gardens in my house but none are as pretty as yours. Where did you get so many different colors?

• Bobby Harpoon

I would like to suggest that folks coat the inside of the fitting to keep it from breaking down and rusting. Can use silicone that can be under water or stand long exposure to water. Could also use products use for tile work. I am not certain but probably could use the AcrylPro Ceramic Tile Adhesive, Rubberized Wet Patch Roof Leak Repair, Exterior Damp-Proof Rubber Membrane Coating and Waterproofer. Any product that seals and protects against moisture. Also You could use a two part epoxy or resin. Or the rel simple protection. Put a plastic bag before putting in rock and soil. Best if you can get it tight against the edge so water doesn't get between the bag and the metal. The would increase the problem you are trying to protect against.