Marc Erick
Marc Erick
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Carbondale, PA

Cinder Block Planter With Shelves

$10

I was trying to figure out what to do with extra cinder blocks which were laying in the backyard of my apartment. It really was an eyesore! My landlord gave me free reign to take care of the yard so I decided to do a whole yard makeover. ..oh, the ideas I have! A garden. ..flower beds...container gardens...and those cinder blocks! Since I rent, I really wanted to do this inexpensively too. I came up with a cinder block planter with shelves. ..and it was free! (Well, I DID purchase the flowers)
cinder block planter with shelves
For this project I used:30 cinder blocks - 8 of them were the large ones with two openings, the rest were were smaller in thickness and solid, flowers- petunias, sweet potato vine, straw flowers and celosia, flower pots for the shelves, potting soil and I used some leftover 2x2 wood scraps too.
The first thing I did was to level the ground a bit and begin stacking the blocks, the first (bottom) layer and top layer were made using the large blocks with the openings facing up. You can see the pattern in the picture.
cinder block planter with shelves
On two of the layers, I allowed two of the blocks to stick out, creating shelves, for a total of four, one on each side.
cinder block planter with shelves
Next I filled the openings on top with soil. This is where the flowers will be planted.
cinder block planter with shelves
And then began planting. I used petunias in six of the openings and sweet potato vines in the remaining two.
cinder block planter with shelves
Make sure to give them a good drink of water!
cinder block planter with shelves
Then I made a border around the bottom with some old 2x2's. I just removed about 1/2 inch of the dirt around the planter and placed the 2x2's in.
cinder block planter with shelves
Then I planted four flower pots for the shelves . I already had the pots but you can get the exact same ones at Dollar Tree.
cinder block planter with shelves
I gave the planter a good wipe down, planted grass seed where the blocks used to be, placed the flower pots on the shelves, and finished!
cinder block planter with shelves
I really like how it turned out and can't wait until the plants grow and fill it out!
cinder block planter with shelves
And a view from our deck. ..
cinder block planter with shelves
Now for a question. ..
Any ideas of what to do with the center opening? I've thought of covering it and placing another flower pot on it or something? !
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this project and hope it inspired you in some way. You can use any kind of plants or flowers . I'm thinking this would be great built around a tree too! Thanks for viewing!

• Dolores

A rock patio?

• Christina

many people commented that the concrete blocks will soak up the water and dry out the soil. After you clean it out for the season, could you coat the planting holes with a sealer of some sort? Just a thought...

• Cynthia Green

how about a fountain?

• Angel

you could fill center part way with rock or something, even scrap 4x4, to use as a stand for another plant or pot. I like the idea of something tall.

good luck, very cute.

• Sarge

I would put a solar light in the middle!