How to Build a Mini Boat From Branches

$0

Since buying a boat or even building one is an expensive project, I choose to play small and build small.
So I came up with this idea to craft a decorative boat on a budget. Actually, with no budget, because I did it without spending a dime.
how to build a mini boat from branches
Grab two tree branches – a thick one for the hull, and a thin one for the mast, in similar length – 8 to 9-in. Also get a triangular piece of cloth for the mainsail, a piece of metal wire (20-ga to 30-ga and 5-in long would be enough), two 3-in pieces of ribbon for the flags.
how to build a mini boat from branches
As for the tools, you need a short knife, a drilling machine with a 1-in drill bit for wood, some glue, a stapler, scissors, and a lighter. Some sanding paper might be useful too.
how to build a mini boat from branches
Use the drilling machine to make a hole in the upper side of the hull, right in the middle of the branch. Pour a pinch of glue, then insert the stick, in order to assemble the mast. Let them dry till you craft some other parts of the boat.
Now let’s fix the mainsail. You will need the stapler to fix the fabric on the main branch, aka the hull of the boat.
how to build a mini boat from branches
Use the wire to make the upper part of the mainsail stick to the mast: bend it tight over the fabric, so it would not slip down.
Right above the bended wire, you install the two flags.
Bend the ribbon in half on its length and make a cut on 45 degrees on each piece to craft the flags. Pour a bit of glue on the raw end of the ribbon and roll it around the mast, to make the flag stay in line with the mainsail. 
Well, your boat is ready. If you followed the same steps as I did, it should look pretty much like this:
how to build a mini boat from branches
Check the complete story on my blog HERE, to find out why the wood looks like it was bit by sharks, and how to get the same look if you don't have the same tool as I do.

Gabi