Creative Small Bathroom Remodel With Slate and Glass Tile

8.4K Views
Our project house was a mess when we first moved in. An exciting mess. Exciting because there was only one way any update could turn out…better! My creative small bathroom remodel added a few family friendly features and a little more storage. My design kept my small space uncluttered and open and that gave it the look of a larger space.
We live at the beach and I wanted something unique and natural. I choose slate tiles and glass subway tiles. It was a perfect combination!
  • creative small bathroom remodel with slate and glass tile, bathroom ideas, diy, home improvement, small bathroom ideas, tiling
The glass top sink is unique and not overpowering in the small bath. The cabinet is compact but still added two large storage shelves inside.
This is what the bath looked liked the day we moved in. The tub was original to our 1950's house...did I mention it was black with dirt? Eeek.
We gutted the room and started over. It was a big job but still budget friendly.
I found this cool vanity on clearance at Home Depot. I fell in love with how the top and sink are one sheet of bent glass. I built the rest of the bath around my vanity. I used a few unusual items like slate for the walls and Schluters to edge the glass subway tiles. They were surprisingly inexpensive. We changed the angles of the tiles in the tub for an extra detail.
The little mediallions are sheets of metal squares that I cut up. We saved a fortune by doing this instead of buying ready made medallions.
We saved even more money by building our own niche with a marble floor threshold that was precut.

Suggested materials for this project:

Wendi @ H2OBungalow

Ask a Question
      • Marion Nesbitt
        Marion Nesbitt Canada

I'm seeing screaming yellow tiles. Were they really this bright, and were they painted? What is Schluters? Your redo is dramatically different from the original!

• Wendi @ H2OBungalow
            Wendi @ H2OBungalow Saint Petersburg, FL

@Marion Nesbitt Schluters are the metal bands that boardered the top and bottom of the glass tile. Yes, the yellow was really that bright! I love the new look and so does my family:)

• Mitziblueyes
            Mitziblueyes Sedley, VA

Ok, do you win! Ur yellow trumps my pink and black tile!! Our baths size/ layout wise are identical. I'm about to tackle my bathroom.., how hard was it to remove the tiled?

• Wendi @ H2OBungalow

@Mitziblueyes Not too hard if you use the right tools. A hammer and a chisel will wedge them off. It's messy! Pink and black, huh? Just think, our baths were stylin' in the day! Good luck with your bath!