Micro-mini Greenhouse Planter

$24

A micro-greenhouse I made for a gardening buddy out of picture frames and a craft box
shopping at Walmart for materials
A friend wanted me to make her a planter that looked like a mini-greenhouse. After seeing some great picture frame lanterns and lamps here on Hometalk, I knew just what to use for glass.
I removed the glass and backing from the picture frames
align the hinges against the frame
I drilled the edge of the picture frames with a 5/64" bit and installed two hinges along an edge. Note that I only used the outside screws, as not to interfere with the glass.

Hinges make a great adjustable bracket in a lot of situations, even if the finished product doesn't have to move.
I then installed two more hinges on the other side of each picture frame. These will attach to the craft box
To prevent any damage to the glass, I went ahead and marked and drilled the holes in the craft box for the bottom hinges before the glass was installed/painted
I then re-installed the glass in the frames and taped off the "Muntins" (or Mullions if you prefer) with masking tape. BTW the blue masking tape doesn't stick to glass very well, I would recommend trying the old school yellow stuff.
Brush the spaces between the tape, and the frames themselves. I used white acrylic chalk paint. Cover the hinges too. Don't worry about getting outside the tape, it cleans up easy with a razor knife/scraper
Remove the tape, and attach the frames back to the craft box using the previously-drilled holes. Now you can touch up any part of your window. I added some chalk paint to the craft box so it would look a bit more uniform to the window using a dry brush technique.
As hard as it was to mask the glass, I think painting the whole pane and scraping off the 'windows' might have been faster and easier. As far as the costs go, I already had the paint and tape.

I'm really happy with how this came out

Don't be surprised to see a cart near my front lawn with some re-purposed house windows attached in the same manner some time in the near future.  
Looks right at home!

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!

• Marsha

What type of plants would be best.

• Jim Cox

I can't help you there, I'm fairly new to gardening. Wherever you put it (full shade, moderate, etc) match your plants to the location

• Sheri Farley

Did you line the box with anything to keep it from rotting? It’s very pretty I love it I made one out of picture frames too not to long ago have it sitting on my kitchen table in a tray I found at a thrift store don’t have anything in it right now

• Connie Forte

I absolutely love love this. Can you seal it for putting it outside at entry way???

• DesertRose

I love this. You really hit it out of the ball park with the looks and idea. This is a must do for me!

• Jim Cox

TY for the kind words. It looks great sitting on the porch : )

• Babs Donovan

Very cute and inspiring to a craftily gardener. I will definitely try this

im confused by the reference to

“mate paint”—is that a typo for

”matte”? Not shiny?