Jim Cox
Jim Cox
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springfield, MO

Micro-mini Greenhouse Planter

$24

A micro-greenhouse I made for a gardening buddy out of picture frames and a craft box
micro mini greenhouse planter
shopping at Walmart for materials
A friend wanted me to make her a planter that looked like a mini-greenhouse. After seeing some great picture frame lanterns and lamps here on Hometalk, I knew just what to use for glass.
micro mini greenhouse planter
I removed the glass and backing from the picture frames
micro mini greenhouse planter
align the hinges against the frame
I drilled the edge of the picture frames with a 5/64" bit and installed two hinges along an edge. Note that I only used the outside screws, as not to interfere with the glass.

Hinges make a great adjustable bracket in a lot of situations, even if the finished product doesn't have to move.
micro mini greenhouse planter
I then installed two more hinges on the other side of each picture frame. These will attach to the craft box
micro mini greenhouse planter
To prevent any damage to the glass, I went ahead and marked and drilled the holes in the craft box for the bottom hinges before the glass was installed/painted
micro mini greenhouse planter
I then re-installed the glass in the frames and taped off the "Muntins" (or Mullions if you prefer) with masking tape. BTW the blue masking tape doesn't stick to glass very well, I would recommend trying the old school yellow stuff.
micro mini greenhouse planter
Brush the spaces between the tape, and the frames themselves. I used white acrylic chalk paint. Cover the hinges too. Don't worry about getting outside the tape, it cleans up easy with a razor knife/scraper
micro mini greenhouse planter
Remove the tape, and attach the frames back to the craft box using the previously-drilled holes. Now you can touch up any part of your window. I added some chalk paint to the craft box so it would look a bit more uniform to the window using a dry brush technique.
As hard as it was to mask the glass, I think painting the whole pane and scraping off the 'windows' might have been faster and easier. As far as the costs go, I already had the paint and tape.

micro mini greenhouse planter
I'm really happy with how this came out

Don't be surprised to see a cart near my front lawn with some re-purposed house windows attached in the same manner some time in the near future.  
micro mini greenhouse planter
Looks right at home!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 21, 2018 11:51 PM - More info

• Golden Raintree

I thought sunshine through the glass would burn the plants?

• Jim Cox

The plants appear to be doing well just a few weeks later

• Marsha

What type of plants would be best.

• Jim Cox

I can't help you there, I'm fairly new to gardening. Wherever you put it (full shade, moderate, etc) match your plants to the location

• Sheri Farley

Did you line the box with anything to keep it from rotting? It’s very pretty I love it I made one out of picture frames too not to long ago have it sitting on my kitchen table in a tray I found at a thrift store don’t have anything in it right now

• Jim Cox

Looks great Sheri! We didn't line it, we figured the weather would take it's toll as much as the topsoil. My next one will be a metal 'little red wagon'