Farmhouse Staircase With Chalk Paint®

$180

For this project, the staircase, my husband told me to hire a company instead of trying to do this ourselves. We decided a professional was needed to ensure we have a quality job and that we’re up to code in our home. The company we hired to build and install the staircase was fantastic. They gave us the option to demo the old staircase ourselves and they provided tips on what needed to be demoed. Everything was totally up-front. The company didn’t stain or paint the wood and they didn’t pretend they did. They knew what they offered and their quote reflected that. Having an installer took care of the hard laborious parts but left the fun things to me (painting). This gave me the ability to paint everything exactly as I was envisioning, while also saving a bundle. Painting the newels and handrails is not difficult but it is time-consuming. It was particularly time-consuming because I was working toward a very specific look while also accenting the farmhouse feel we were already building.
Watch the video above to learn how I painted my staircase to give it a farmhouse look using Chalk Paint®. All of the steps covered in the video are also touched on here in this post.
As I mentioned before the company we hired would only do the installation of the wrought iron staircase and railing.
I painted the newels and skirt-boards with one coat of Sherwin-Williams® primer and two coats of Sherwin-Williams® white semi-gloss latex paint. This matches the trim in my house.
Make a whitewash using Chalk Paint® in Old White. Ratio 1:2 (Paint to water)
Paint the railing with one coat of the whitewash and let it dry.
Make another wash this time using  Chalk Paint® in Coco. Ratio 1:1 (Paint to water)
Paint the railing with one coat of the Coco wash and let it dry.
Mix the Dark and White wax. Ratio 1:1
Apply the wax with a clean cotton rag. Let it cure at least one day before applying the second coat of wax.
Apply one coat of white wax, let it dry and buff it with a cotton rag.
This project is showing how to get the look of a farmhouse staircase with brand new components. However, it’s absolutely possible to use the techniques I’m illustrating in this post and video on an existing staircase. The methodology is useful in most homes and will provide an updated look even if demolishing and installing a new staircase and handrail is impossible.

Don’t forget to visit my blog https://avantimorocha.com/, subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow me on my social media, see you soon, see you soon chau chau!

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home

To see more: https://avantimorocha.com/

• Eli15413922

Lovely look. Wondering how it holds up sans sealant? I like the end effect so am toying with applying this to a bathrm vanity that needs a new "do"

• 16999903

I think this turned out beautiful. The biggest lesson you demonstrated was discussing the project with a professional and doing what you can do to DIY the rest of it. Many projects need someone familiar with building codes and city permits, so it's absolutely ok to do a PRO/DIY!

• Pamela

Looks beautiful !!!

• Em

It looks nice but not understanding how modern wrought iron posts are all that "farmhouse."

• Jeanne Martin

I don't know the answer but the paint wash on the railings, the dark wrought iron

and the white posts sure look modern farmhouse to me! Not farmhouse, but modern farmhouse.