Eloise
Eloise
  • Tutorial Team
  • United Kingdom

Simple Homemade Air Freshener

$7

Sick of spending a fortune on expensive air fresheners that are full of chemicals and don't even smell that good? This is the project for you. It's surprisingly easy to create your own air freshener that smells great, doesn't cost much, and can be customized according to your taste.
simple homemade air freshener
For this project you'll need a spray bottle, a cup measure, two or three essential oils, and some water. I chose to use lavender and tea tree oils, but you can experiment if you want something a bit different.
simple homemade air freshener
I started by measuring two cups of water and pouring carefully into my spray bottle. This didn't fill the entire bottle, but I only wanted to make a small quantity of air freshener this time.
simple homemade air freshener
Next, I added 16 drops of lavender oil to the water.

Most essential oil containers come with a handy dropper-style lid which makes this step nice and easy. I chose lavender as it's a soothing scent with great properties for improving sleep and promoting relaxation.
simple homemade air freshener
After the lavender, I added 8 drops of tea tree oil.

This oil has a nice fresh, clean scent and stops the air freshener from feeling too heavy, especially during the daytime. It also has antibacterial properties which makes it great for use around the home. For extra help keeping the air in your home clean, fresh, and safe, consider investing in an .
simple homemade air freshener
Screw the lid onto your spray bottle, and you're ready to go!

The scent is fresh, clean and relaxing. It's noticeable but not overwhelming, ideal if you aren't a fan of really strong air fresheners.

If this is your first time making air freshener, I'd recommend sticking to small quantities until you find a mix of fragrances that work for you. You can experiment with different amounts of each oil, or use different oils for a completely unique scent.

Eloise

• Dixie Collins

I have read that essential oils are harmful to pets is this true?

• Joy

Lavender is supposed to be toxic to cats. I prefer some water in a pan with some citrus peels or vanilla.. Can also use a small crock pot . I found one with a plastic lid. My husband drilled holes in the lid. Used it for years. Have to get another one.

• Linda

If you spray water onto or near furniture or walls, will it leave spots?

• CarolAnn

Can any other base be used besides water? I'm concerned that it might mold or mildew sitting in spray bottle especially because I live down here in the hot Southern states?

• Taun P.

Hi CarolAnn,

I live in a Southern State too. I make essential oil room freshening sprays often & never had a problem with mold. Many EO's have properties that delay or prevent mold growth. I use distilled water and glass mist bottles to make small batches. The spray may last a week or two (I usually have 2-3 fragrances available to use). I do have an air conditioned home as well.

• Dulce

thank you so much I’ll try this one ☝🏼

• Amy

Just an FYI tea tree oil

is toxic to dogs and cats and can lead to neurological problems and possible death