How to Clean and Stain a Deck

$50

Even though our outdoor space is small, we've always loved taking advantage of this balcony and use it all summer long. But the wood on our deck was in need of some TLC.

For the full step-by-step tutorial, be sure to check out this blog post.

I decided to give our deck a good clean and then stain it a pretty dark gray color. This project was surprisingly easy, especially since our deck is so tiny. But anyone can tackle this in their own space.
Here's our deck before I got my hands on it. Yikes. It had a large stain from our outdoor rug and I was determined to get this looking good again.

First step...cleaning!
I used this deck cleaner, a bucket of water, and a push broom to give our deck a good initial scrub. This got rid of so much dirt and grime. But that darn rug stain was still there.

That's when I called in the big guns and used a power washer. In about 30 minutes, our balcony was pristine and oh so clean.
I then let the deck dry out for a few days, because you definitely don't want to stain wood that isn't perfectly dry.

I ended up doing 3 coats of the color "Harbor Mist" by Sherwin Williams. I love that it's a semi-transparent stain so it doesn't look like it's painted on.
Here's our deck after...so much better! I can't wait to enjoy this new deck all summer long.

For the full tutorial and details,  check out this blog post.

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
The DIY Playbook