How to Clean and Stain a Deck

$50

Even though our outdoor space is small, we've always loved taking advantage of this balcony and use it all summer long. But the wood on our deck was in need of some TLC.

For the full step-by-step tutorial, be sure to check out this blog post.

I decided to give our deck a good clean and then stain it a pretty dark gray color. This project was surprisingly easy, especially since our deck is so tiny. But
how to clean and stain a deck
Here's our deck before I got my hands on it. Yikes. It had a large stain from our outdoor rug and I was determined to get this looking good again.

First step...cleaning!
how to clean and stain a deck
I used this deck cleaner, a bucket of water, and a push broom to give our deck a good initial scrub. This got rid of so much dirt and grime. But that darn rug stain was still there.

That's when I called in the big guns and used a power washer. In about 30 minutes, our balcony was pristine and oh so clean.
how to clean and stain a deck
I then let the deck dry out for a few days, because you definitely don't want to stain wood that isn't perfectly dry.

I ended up doing 3 coats of the color "Harbor Mist" by Sherwin Williams. I love that it's a semi-transparent stain so it doesn't look like it's painted on.
how to clean and stain a deck
Here's our deck after...so much better! I can't wait to enjoy this new deck all summer long.

For the full tutorial and details,  check out this blog post.
The DIY Playbook