Cyndi Valerino
Cyndi Valerino
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fort Myers, FL

Christmas (ornaments!) In July

$5

I make Christmas ornaments year round. I give them as gifts, I make one for each of my grandkids every year, and, of course, I use them on my own tree! Which, by the way, has nothing but handmade ornaments (and lights) on it. Many years of ornaments.

Here are 2 quick and easy and, I think, cute, rustic looking ornaments to make. And the supplies are minimal.

christmas ornaments in july

For the first one, I used 3 flat clothes pegs. I cut one at the beginning of the 'legs', and cut the tips off of one. I also used a medium size wood star.

christmas ornaments in july

I made a very thin wash with water and DecoArt Bittersweet Chocolate acrylic paint, and painted all the pieces.

christmas ornaments in july

Once they dried, I took a foot of thin wire and wrapped it around the 'neck' of the one I trimmed the ends of. Twist it around, and snip it in the back.

christmas ornaments in july

Leaving an inch or so between the peg and the star, I wrapped the wire around the star 4 or 5 times. I pressed the end piece flat with pliers.

christmas ornaments in july

Using hot glue, I added a twine loop for hanging. I pushed the pieces together, keeping them even at the bottom, making one slightly taller than the other. I kept them together, and flipped them over l, and used hot glue to glue the small piece on. This was the only place I glued the pieces together.

christmas ornaments in july

And this is the first one complete. Easy peasy, right?

The second one is just as quick and easy.

christmas ornaments in july

I used round clothes pegs for this one, and a larger star. I only trimmed the one small one. I painted them the same as the others.

christmas ornaments in july

I burned a small hole in the top of the star, and made a loop with twine, leaving a foot tail. I wound the tail around the star randomly, hot gluing the end on the back.

christmas ornaments in july

I glued the 2 long pegs side by side, with the slots showing on one side, and turning the other to hide the slots. Then I hot glued the small piece on, and hot glued the tops to the star.

I think they turned out sweet, and perfect for a quick craft.

Thanks for looking!

christmas ornaments in july