Drum Chandelier DIY for $6!

$6

The infamous boob light is ubiquitous in our house and I hate it! Although practical, this light fixture has no style.

drum chandelier diy for 6

It is surprisingly easy to deconstruct this light fixture. I am going to work with the existing bolt and base, so I just removed the frosted glass bowl and light bulbs.

drum chandelier diy for 6

I found this lamp shade at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $2. Originally, I bought it for my living room lamps, but it was too skinny. I ended up  making my own drum lamp shade for the lamps, and this went into storage. The  crystal strands I bought off Amazon for only $4! ! Talk about an amazing deal! They are not very high quality, but I don’t think anyone will be up on my ceiling inspecting them.

drum chandelier diy for 6

I measured and adjusted the strands to be in descending length when they hang. Then I attached them to the lamp shade hardware by clipping on the metal hoop.

drum chandelier diy for 6

I thread a nut to hold the lamp shade on the bolt protruding from the existing light fixture. After I replaced the light bulbs, this is what it looked like inside.

drum chandelier diy for 6

And better yet, this is what it looks like from other parts of the room.

drum chandelier diy for 6

It is crazy to think this project only cost me $6 and was so easy to put together! It looks fancy and expensive in the office space.

drum chandelier diy for 6

The DIY drum chandelier was just the beginning of a multitude of inexpensive, DIY projects I did for my husband's home office makeover. Click on the link to my blog below and take a peek.

Melissa Woods

• Marie Oriol-Lavalle

Hubby recently broke the ugly generic shade that was above the bathroom tub. Would I be able to use this same time of shade for a bathroom, or should I find another type given moisture/water/steam associated with bathroom environments?? What options are there for shades?

• Ray

If you want lightbulbs exploding over your head while you’re showering go ahead and leave it off.

Sorry, I just had to put that out there.

Please by all means replace your light fixture cover. It should actually be a sealed unit so that you would not have glass falling on you in the shower if a lightbulb were to self to destruct.

• Ginnie

I want to try this.

Could I use LED bulbs instead of the CFLs?

• Jim White

Yes, you could. Due to the extremely low heat produced by an led bulb and the ventilation at the top of the shade to the ceiling I would consider putting some round cut, white colored, plexiglas over the cross arms of the shade.

• T davidson

Crystal’s say $24.95 on Amazon, also what size bolt?

• Janet McCarraher

Very clever with beautiful results!

• Cheryl

I didn't know there was a rod in the center, that is the solution I was looking for on how to attach lampshade. Awesome.