DIY Pull Out Kitchen Storage Cabinet

$30

My rental apartment has a small kitchen and though it has a lot of storage, it doesn't have a lot of it that's within easy reach (I'm short!). But it does happen to have a gap between the fridge and the cabinets so I decided to make use of that wasted space and convert it into a pullout pantry. There's many types you can buy, like this one, but I thought it would be more fun to make my own DIY version!

diy pull out storage cabinet

The gap measured 6" so I chose 1x6" pine boards since they are actually 5.5" wide.

diy pull out storage cabinet

I used a speed square to mark the location of the shelves on both side boards at the same time to make sure they were lined up.

diy pull out storage cabinet

I started putting the cabinet together by putting on the casters on the bottom of a shelf and then attaching it to the side boards - I wanted to reused casters that I already had and they work fine but ideally you would want to use wheels that don't swivel for a project like this since the wheels only need to roll in one direction. I attached all the remaining shelves, lines up with the marks I had made earlier.

diy pull out storage cabinet

So the rails, I'm seen a lot of people use dowels but I wanted a different look so I used 1/4" screen molding that I attached to the sides with small corner brackets.

diy pull out storage cabinet

I'm very happy with the end result and I'm also quite impressed with the amount of stuff that can fit in such a narrow space! It does need to stay supported on either side because it is so tall and narrow so I used a small hook on the side of the cabinet to prevent it from coming out all the way.

You can get more details on this project in this video, including a few more tips and tricks!

• 1"x6" pine boards
  • 1/4" moulding
Engineer Your Space

• Em

Could you explain this please? From your post: "It does need to stay supported on either side because it is so tall and narrow so I used a small hook on the side of the cabinet to prevent it from coming out all the way."

• Tracy

Just put the command hook on the fridge and hook it on one of the shelf bars.

• Em

To Engineer your space: Thanks for your answer: I did not watch the video until you replied. Usually I can comprehend the "how to" portion of a post just looking at the pictures. The video is very clear. Text...meh! Thanks for letting me know.

• Teresita

Can I do this on popcorn ceilings?

• Cristi Roe

I have been planning the same shelf for 3 years, now I don't have to reinvent the wheel! Thanks for the excellent directions!

• Maureen

Great job! Very clever idea 👍