DIY Pull Out Kitchen Storage Cabinet

$30

My rental apartment has a small kitchen and though it has a lot of storage, it doesn't have a lot of it that's within easy reach (I'm short!). But it does happen to have a gap between the fridge and the cabinets so I decided to make use of that wasted space and convert it into a pullout pantry!

diy pull out storage cabinet

The gap measured 6" so I chose 1x6" pine boards since they are actually 5.5" wide.

diy pull out storage cabinet

I used a speed square to mark the location of the shelves on both side boards at the same time to make sure they were lined up.

diy pull out storage cabinet

I started putting the cabinet together by putting on the casters on the bottom of a shelf and then attaching it to the side boards - I wanted to reused casters that I already had and they work fine but ideally you would want to use wheels that don't swivel for a project like this since the wheels only need to roll in one direction. I attached all the remaining shelves, lines up with the marks I had made earlier.

diy pull out storage cabinet

So the rails, I'm seen a lot of people use dowels but I wanted a different look so I used 1/4" screen molding that I attached to the sides with small corner brackets.

diy pull out storage cabinet

I'm very happy with the end result and I'm also quite impressed with the amount of stuff that can fit in such a narrow space! It does need to stay supported on either side because it is so tall and narrow so I used a small hook on the side of the cabinet to prevent it from coming out all the way.

You can get more details on this project in this video, including a few more tips and tricks!

• 1"x6" pine boards
  • 1/4" moulding
Engineer Your Space

• Eec32759042

Great idea. I love it. Where do you attach the stopper? I couldn't really see where you put it or how it worked???

• Mary M

It is attached on the cabinet on the left side to the left side of the new shelving.

• Nancee Barnett

I would like to do this, but first I need to know if the items on the shelves get hot from being between the oven and refrigetator?

• Jacque

The heat from the refrigerator would be bad on the can goods or spices, right?

• Leslie

My father-in-law did this back in the early 70’s. There was a narrow space between the refrigerator and a shutter-style full length door that divided the kitchen from the family room. When opened, the door swung back toward the refrigerator. He built a unit like this to go in that space. Never any problems with any of the items on the shelves.

• Linda Cox

This will be great! I have a VERY small house and need storage for laundry supplies between a wall and my stackable washer and dryer!!!