DIY Pull Out Kitchen Storage Cabinet

$30

My rental apartment has a small kitchen and though it has a lot of storage, it doesn't have a lot of it that's within easy reach (I'm short!). But it does happen to have a gap between the fridge and the cabinets so I decided to make use of that wasted space and convert it into a pullout pantry. There's many types you can buy, like this one, but I thought it would be more fun to make my own DIY version!

The gap measured 6" so I chose 1x6" pine boards since they are actually 5.5" wide.

I used a speed square to mark the location of the shelves on both side boards at the same time to make sure they were lined up.

I started putting the cabinet together by putting on the casters on the bottom of a shelf and then attaching it to the side boards - I wanted to reused casters that I already had and they work fine but ideally you would want to use wheels that don't swivel for a project like this since the wheels only need to roll in one direction. I attached all the remaining shelves, lines up with the marks I had made earlier.

So the rails, I'm seen a lot of people use dowels but I wanted a different look so I used 1/4" screen molding that I attached to the sides with small corner brackets.

I'm very happy with the end result and I'm also quite impressed with the amount of stuff that can fit in such a narrow space! It does need to stay supported on either side because it is so tall and narrow so I used a small hook on the side of the cabinet to prevent it from coming out all the way.

You can get more details on this project in this video, including a few more tips and tricks!

• 1"x6" pine boards
  • 1/4" moulding

Engineer Your Space

• Em

To Engineer your space: Thanks for your answer: I did not watch the video until you replied. Usually I can comprehend the "how to" portion of a post just looking at the pictures. The video is very clear. Text...meh! Thanks for letting me know.

• Teresita

Can I do this on popcorn ceilings?

• Janet

Wrong thread? But I would have the ceiling tested for esbestos and then have it removed.

• Minnou

Any idea on how to make use of old CDs? Am trying to figure out how a Christmas tree may be made from these CDs.

• Louise

Cool.looks fab!

• Wanda Woolard

Love this type storage. Easy to access. Better than deep cabinets that everything gets hidden. Great space for things needed daily. Good job.