Abbe N
Abbe N

White Cabinets Painted to Look Like Wood

My White Oil painted cabinets were old and dingy, plus I spilled hair dye on a cabinet. Those of you who did not like when I changed Oak over to paint may like that I changed paint over to "Wood". I am proud of the transformation, I have been asked to do this for others and it looks better in person.
white cabinets painted to look like wood, bathroom ideas, kitchen cabinets, painting
How did I do it? I primed them with Zinzer 1 2 3, then I put a top coat of a tan or any color brown will do semi gloss on satin latex paint. Then I used Faux Effects stain and seal. I put one coat on and then on the 2nd coat, it added in some copper Martha Stewart craft paint to give light and grain effects on the darker stain. I followed the natural grain lines to make it look real. I finished with a satin top coat.

• Cam Meers

Hi! I LOVE your cabinets and want to do this to mine. A couple of questions, did you paint yours tan or brown under the stain? Also, what color of stain and seal did you use? I see available an american walnut and a rich brown. Lastly, did you paint on with a brush or did you use a different tool? Thanks.......can't wait to hear your answers so I can get started!

• Abbe N

I think I used a medium brown but that is not as important. I have done the water based gel stain over many colors and even chalk paint and it always comes out nice. I mixed colors. I have to go look at the color names. I am thinking mahogany. I used a brush. Remember the first coat does not lol great, but that 2nd coat is where it gets gorgeous. If you mess up, add another coat.

• Abbe N

Oh and the copper paint added in is super important.

• Alida

This might sound stupid, but did you actually add the Martha Stewart copper into stain paint or did you take a brush and apply it separately onto the stain?

• Abbe N

Hello Alida, I paint on the gel stain one coat, let it dry, then I brush on a 2nd coat, as I apply the 2nd coat, I dab in come copper and brush it in so it give it copper streaks. I hope this helps you.

• Xochilt esposito

Hello Abbe, Would you please let me know what type of material are the cabinets? I'm looking to paint my laminate kitchen counter top to make it looks like wood. Do you think I can use your technique for laminate? Thanks so much & by the way you did an amazing transformation!!

• Cassandra Wilson

My cabinets are currently painted and I really love yours! Did you sand them down first, or is the primer the only thing you need?

• Haylee

Did you strip them first?

• Linda Maness

Have old white shinny cabinets. Want to change them to light brown color

• Trisha Martin

Vast improvement! They look great white. You could start a business doing this for others. I had to laugh when I read the hair dye spill part, one of my bathrooms has the same thing. Now if I have your courage to paint! LOL

• Abbe N

Please be sure to use a good top coat when done, a satin is what I recommend.