Cyndi Valerino
Cyndi Valerino
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fort Myers, FL

Pumpkin Flower Pot

$3

We don't see much of fall in SW Florida. So I bring the colors in as soon as I see other people putting up fall decor! Because you'd never know by the weather! I love this time of year. I love bright colors. So I thought a pumpkin holding some flowers would be pretty tucked on a bookshelf somewhere.
pumpkin flower pot
I used a dollar store styrofoam pumpkin. Everything I used for this is from the dollar store.
pumpkin flower pot
With a kitchen knife, I cut off the top. Years ago, I tried this, and failed miserably. They used to be solid. Now they are made hollow, so it was easy to remove.
pumpkin flower pot
I covered the whole pumpkin with a thick coat of Elmer's glue.
pumpkin flower pot
While the glue was still wet, I painted the pumpkin. I used white chalk paint, with just a drop of gray mixed in. Then I set it aside to dry.
pumpkin flower pot
As the paint dries, it starts to separate and crackle.
pumpkin flower pot
Once it was completely dry, I stuffed raffia straw, from the dollar store, in the inside.
pumpkin flower pot
I trimmed some artificial flowers and stuck them in the pumpkin, and that's it! I kinda like it. It's certainly colorful! Thanks for looking!

• Styrofoam pumpkin  (Dollar Tree)
  • Raffia  (Dollar Tree)
  • Artificial flowers  (Dollar Tree)

• Jacqui

Cool. BUT, my question is when do u paint it...if the glue is still wet, won't it just come off on the brush you're using? I realize you need to paint b4 glue is dry. Mayb when it's tacky? Thanks.

• Cyndi Valerino

You can do it when it's tacky. I've never had a problem with the glue coming off.