A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Jewelry Box Revival

$20

I found a carved wooden box at a flea market this summer. It was rough and unfinished on the inside. I doubt it was for jewelry...it didn't look refined by any measure. Still, I couldn't resist the challenge...
jewelry box revival
This is what I bought for $5 at the flea market. It was knicked and rough to the touch.
jewelry box revival
The hardware was covering up the carving and attached with nails that were too long.
jewelry box revival
I used plastic wood to fill in the knicks and gouges and then sanded the box inside and out.
jewelry box revival
A base coat of dark brown was applied for coverage.
jewelry box revival
The box was then painted with emerald green.
jewelry box revival
Once completely dry, I used a dark wax, carefully working it into the deep carvings, and the wiping away the excess.
jewelry box revival
At this point, I set it aside to dry for a few days.
jewelry box revival
This is what the inside of the box looked like.
jewelry box revival
These were my supplies to transform the inside of the box...brown paint, brush, and a squeeze bottle filled with brown felt flocking.
jewelry box revival
To flock, I simply painted the interior generously with the dark brown paint and then while it was still wet, squeezed on the flocking material. The first coat I did in stages, but the second coat, I applied all at once.
jewelry box revival
This is what it looked like when it was done.
jewelry box revival
I added feet on the corners to dress it up a bit.
jewelry box revival
Lastly, a new, much smaller latch was added. The box is now ready to grace the top of someone's bureau.

• Chalk paint  (Michaels)
  • Liquid wax  (Michaels)
  • Felt flocking  (Www.etsy.com)

• Mary Carol Hall

Is chalk paint odorless when dry? I have painted interiors of little chests of pine wood and i didn't like the odor from paint. So i only buy old cedar chests to DIY.

• Pwo33579000

Beautiful. You really did a wonderful job on that box. Where did you get the corner pieces?

• Bon5097507

beautiful transformation. I have never heard of felt flocking before. I looked on Etsy but I don’t believe I’m looking in the right place. Do you have a store link you could share? Thank you.

• A

Go to etsy.com and search for flocking fibers

• Debra Y

Lovely! From trash to treasure.

• Annette

Back in the late 1930's, you would use it to store keepsakes and love letters. My Mom tole painted my favorite flowers onto the top of her box, and gave it to me. It has her maiden name signature and date inside. Oh, and a few chosen letters from my Dad.

• A

That's a wonderful story. I can only imagine the mementos this box once held.