Adding Color to a Kitchen With a DIY Window Valence or Cornice

$10

When I revamping this very neutral rental kitchen, I wanted to add a colorful window treatment to coordinate with the new vintage inspired temporary peel and stick tile backsplash I installed. I didn't want to go with curtains because they tend to get dirty very quickly with all the cooking happening, so instead, I opted for a different take on the traditional window valance.

adding color to a kitchen with a diy window valence or cornice
This was a very nice kitchen as is but the idea was to add lots of personality and color to give it more life.
The first part of the makeover involved covering up the subway tiles with removable peel and stick vintage patterned tiles.
It instantly changed the look of the kitchen and made it more lively, but I felt that there was some color missing at the top of the window, which is where the valance comes in.
I made it with inexpensive furring strips (1"x 2") and 1" x 6" pine boards. First, I screwed a 1" x 2" to both sides of the 1" x 6" board. It's a good idea to drill pilot hole prior to doing this - it helps prevent the wood from splitting and it also helps to ensure that the screws go in straight. Then I attached another 1" x 2" at the top and bottom, making sure to not hit the screws I just put in.
The next step was to add 1" x2" perpendicular to the ends. Here it also helps to drill pilot holes.
Because this is a rental home, I wanted to avoid making holes in the walls to install the window valance, so I attached L-brackets on the sides. Then I painted it with a dark blue to complement the tiles (I brought a tile to the hardware store and got them to match the color).
The valance fits between the cabinets and the brackets rest on top of the cabinets.
Then I secured it to the top of the cabinets, a location that is very discreet and won't be seen. 
The valance instantly dressed up the window and added a much needed burst of color to balance out all the color and pattern in the backsplash. Plus the rustic look of the painted wood coordinated nicely with the  vintage peel and stick tiles
You can see the entire makeover, including the tiles, and the IKEA cart makeover, in this video. Enjoy!

• 1"x2"
  • 1"x6"
Engineer Your Space