Donna Arsenault
Donna Arsenault
  • Canada

Vintage(1950's) Heywood Wakefield china cabinet

I have had this cabinet sitting in my garage for 4 years. I am moving to Annapolis Valley NS into a restored 1944 craftsman home from northern Canada. It was about time to do something with this cabinet. It is my biggest painting project to date. I bought it at a yard sale for $100, and love the clean lines but not the color.
I sanded it down to the grain on the top of the buffet and the middle panel of the hutch, stained with early American Minwax. Painted the insides with home hardware designer series furniture and cabinet paint in cardigan, and painted the outside with black iron.
The paint is paint and primer all in one. I originally cleaned all of the hardware intending to reuse, but then lost one of the pulls. I bought the discontinued hardware from home hardware as well at $2 piece. What do you think? I put all of crystal back in the cabinet for now as we are moving in 2 months and didn't want to make space somewhere else for it. I will decorate it with my collection of white pottery when I get to my new home.
vintage 1950 s heywood wakefield china cabinet, painted furniture

• Deb

Hello- Wonderful job!! Please would you tell me where you got the drawer pulls? They are exactly what I have been looking for! Deb

• Donna Arsenault

Hi Deb, I bought these at HomeHardware. They were in a discontinued bin, but I see that they are still pictured on their web site.