Portable Spray Paint Booth

$50

I do a lot of spray can painting for upcycling old items and always leave a mess on my workshop floor. No matter how many drop cloths I spread over and around the surfaces, the overspray keeps getting everywhere. Then the floor and surrounding area has to be mopped and wiped down. Fed up with the clean up, I shopped the internet for portable spray booths or how to build one. They were either smaller, larger, complex to build or expensive. Then I remembered my moms quilting frame which hung from the ceiling and would be lowered when in use or raised out of the way when not in use. I didn’t want one permanently hanging from the ceiling, so I figured out a way to make one easy to assemble and disassemble. All I needed was four 5’ lengths of CPVC pipes, elbow joints and cheap shower curtains.

The frame assembly was simply to connect the four CVPC pipes with the elbow joints securely. I did not glue them so that everything could be dismantled easily when finished.

Once connected, I drilled holes at the end of two opposing pipes so that I could pull the cord through. Then it was a matter of putting two ceiling hooks into studs in the ceiling and hanging the frame.

Completed frame and location of holes

In order to get the frame at the right height, I put the cord through the both holes and secured with a knot. Then looped the cord over the ceiling hook. I had to put the shower curtains on and adjust the cord length so that the curtains touched the floor. I used the kind of shower curtain hooks that were shaped like a S hook to make it easier to put on and take off. Then I repeated the same process on the other side. It was kind of hard to get both sides done without the curtains slipping to one end. Perseverance paid off and I finally got the frame balanced. Lastly, added shower curtains to the other two sides, completely inclosing the booth. The booth is 5’ X 5’ wide and 5’8” tall.

Booth frame hanging from the two hooks

Now it was time to test my portable spray paint booth. I put my drop cloths on the floor and made sure there was enough outside the booth to ensure overspray wouldn’t get on the floor. Then used clothes pins to seal the corners of the shower curtains. . I know this is not a pretty booth, but it got the job done.

As you can see, the spray booth contained any overspray. Like I said, it’s not pretty, but it gets the job done. And it takes less than ten minutes to dismantle and put away. If you don’t want to use shower curtains it’s ok to use the plastic sheeting rolls and just drap over the frame.

• Dee Ann Kennemer McFalls

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been looking for a spray paint tent to do furniture in, I have way too many pieces in my shop and my hubby’s garage. This should work well to set up on my covered porch.

• Mani

Hi Dee, I’m so happy your going to try my idea. Good luck.

• Anna Y

Great job! I have been needing a paint booth but didn't have the space for anything permanent.