Morgan McBride
Morgan McBride
  • Charleston, SC

Spray Painted Ombre Basket

$15

Update an old or thrifted basket with a simple ombre spray paint technique. This easy and inexpensive method is the perfect way to give new life to an old basket!

spray painted ombre basket

To start, you will need a basket. I got this one at the thrift store. Be sure that it is clean and dry. I like a tall basket for this project so you have a lot of space for the ombre effect. However, any shape will do.

spray painted ombre basket

Start with your darker shade of paint. Start painting at the bottom of your basket. You want to go about 2/3 of the way up. The bottom should get complete coverage and your coverage should get lighter as you move up.

This is the comfort grip that I use on my spray paint cans that don't have triggers. It really saves your fingers!

spray painted ombre basket

Now get your lighter spray paint color. Do the opposite of what you just did. Start at the top of the basket and get full coverage. Work your way down with lighter and lighter coverage. Eventually taper off around 2/3 of the way down the basket.

spray painted ombre basket

Enjoy your new ombre spray painted basket! This tall basket was perfect for the awkward space between my entertainment center and the corner. The blue looks much better than the original dark brown, which was the exact color of my floors and didn't pop at all!

• Basket
  • 2 shades of spray paint
Morgan McBride

• Sophie

Can you use any paint?

• Dana

I’m pretty sure you can, I would suggest a flat paint though. Gloss will only show the mistakes.

• LJ

Do you think this would work on a old resin wicker chair???