Kyle
Kyle
  • Portland, OR

DIY Pallet Wood Picture Frame

$10

DIY rustic pallet wood picture frame intended to hold a standard 4" x 6" picture. This simple reclaimed wood project fits the budget, makes a great gift, and can be made in just a few hours!

diy pallet wood picture frame, Final Product

Materials:

diy pallet wood picture frame, Materials

Tools:

diy pallet wood picture frame

Start by cutting 3 pieces of pallet wood to a length of 12". Then, cut your remaining piece in to two smaller pieces that measure 1 1/2" x 8". Sand each piece.

diy pallet wood picture frame

Arrange your 3 larger pieces of wood together as you please. I like to stagger my pieces a little bit. Next, measure and mark 4 1/8" from the top and bottom of the center piece. This is where you will be placing your smaller pieces of wood.

diy pallet wood picture frame

Glue the back of your small 8" pieces and place the inner edges on the 4 1/8" marks that you made earlier. Nail the horizontal 8" pieces to each 12" vertical piece. Make sure to center your 8" pieces so there is an equal distance between the 8" pieces and the edges of the frame. I like to use wood clamps for this part to help keep everything in place.

diy pallet wood picture frame
diy pallet wood picture frame

Almost done! Flip the frame over and add your picture hanger.

diy pallet wood picture frame

Your frame should now look like this:

diy pallet wood picture frame

Optional step: Add some boiled linseed oil or your favorite finish to give this project a nice shine. Let it dry overnight.

diy pallet wood picture frame

Hang your frame and enjoy!

diy pallet wood picture frame

• Sharon Christian

Can I use any kind of stain? Like antiquing rubbingon stain?

• Grammyzoo2

I would think there's no law that says you have to use stated oil stain, in fact, why not pain in several similar colors or bright colors to liven things up?? Go for it!

• Marlissa Gibbs

Do you have to leave room for the picture to slide in between the wood? If you nail everything together I don't see how you get the picture in. It's probably simple and I'm not seeing it.

• Kyle

Hello! The space between the two smaller pieces of wood is 3 3/4". Which is perfect for a 4 x 6" photo to slide in, with just enough of the picture sliding under the small pieces to keep hold it steady. If you are worried about the picture not fitting under the small pieces that are glued and nailed, I would suggest slightly sanding the bottom edge where the photo will be touching. This will allow the picture to slide in no problem. The edge you should sand is indicated by the arrows in the attached photo. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,

Kyle

• Marlissa Gibbs

Do you have to leave room for the picture to slide in! How do you keep it in the frame? I'm probably just not seeing it.

• Val

It's so rustic chic, great job!

• Ashley Letson

Just Beautiful!!♥️ wood working craftmenship I can't wait to do this myself. Thanks