Christmas Tree DIY Decorations

$12

Wanted tree to have more than just lights and ornaments. A friend suggested spraying pine cones for filler, I liked th idea if adding pine cones but decided to use white wax and acrylic glitter paint rather than spraying them with spray paint or snow.

christmas tree diy decorations

First I gathered pine cones, choosing the best shaped ones I could find. I spread them out on a trash bag on counter and prepared them for the wax.

christmas tree diy decorations

I used a mixture of white wax, clear wax, and some acrylic glitter paint. I mixed in a styrofoam plate.

christmas tree diy decorations

I added just a small amount of water to thin it a bit, then I began rolling the pine cones in the wax. I placed them on the plastic bag to dry. I used a chip brush to fill any missed spots and focused on the tips of the pine cones.

christmas tree diy decorations

I let them dry then gathered them to add to the tree.

christmas tree diy decorations

I placed them on the tree and filled in as needed. I added some twigs to the top. I applied a light coat of same mixture that was used on pine cones to the twigs.

christmas tree diy decorations

It was a really inexpensive way to add a hint of snow to the tree as well as fill in space between ornaments. Definitely an alternative to flocking the tree. Could make them as white as you like, I chose to do mainly the tips of the pine cones.

• Debra Spellman

How can I add a scent to the pine cones? Like at Xmas, I bought cinnamon ones but the scent is fading.

thanks.

• Jewellmartin

Add pine or peppermint or cocoa or any other essential oil or food flavoring (not alcohol based) to the wax mixture. [Alcohol just might get too hot and catch on fire.] After Christmas, wrap each cone in wax paper, then newspaper, then in quart or gallon ziplock bags, according to the scent. You might have to store them in the house to keep the wax from melting in the summer, but nobody is forcing you. Merry Christmas, Michael! ☺️