DIY Side Table or Bedside Table Made From Leftover Wood

$12
1 Day

I recently built a new headboard for my bedroom and needed a new bedside table to go with it. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on this so I gave myself the challenge to build something out of a pile of leftover wood I had been accumulating for a while.

This is the wood I had to work with: 1"x3"'s, 1"x4"'s and 3/4" Plywood

I didn't want to do all the wood cutting in my apartment because it would be way too messy so I set up my mobile workshop outside. I'm in love with this work table from WORX because it's light enough for me to carry, it only takes minutes to set up and it even comes with 2 clamps!

I started by cutting the plywood to make the top and the bottom of the table (I chose to have 3 pieces for the top and 2 for the bottom, each board about 1 1/2" smaller to give a staggered effect. Then I cut many many pieces of 1"x3" and 1"x4". I originally made all the same size but then I came up with the idea to cut boards of different lengths to give a curved effect.

After all the wood was cut, I went back inside and covered up the sides of the plywood and the ends of the pine boards with iron on wood edging.

I used wood glue and 1 1/4" screws to attach the boards together, staggering the screws so they wouldn't hit the ones from the previous board. I also used 3" screws to attach the plywood boards to the pedestal.

I used a level to make sure the table wasn't going up crooked and a line in the middle of each board helped me align them in the other direction.

I attached the first piece of plywood to the top with 3" screws and then screwed that to the other 2 pieces of plywood from the bottom so that no screws would show on the top.

I absolutely love the way it looks in my bedroom and though I was originally thinking of painting it black, now I think I will just stain it.

You can see more details on this project in this video, including how I started off building something completely different!

• 3/4" Plywood  (already on hand)
  • 1"x3"  (already on hand)
  • 1"x4"  (already on hand)

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Engineer Your Space

• Penny Mackintosh
    Penny Mackintosh

Love this 💕. I made one similar to this but added an extra shelf a little higher than the middle. I copied the design from an expensive one I saw in a magazine years ago. I really think I like yours better and would love to copy this one too 🌹

• Fee Miriam Rosenfeltz
    Fee Miriam Rosenfeltz

Gorgeous....great design....love the work bench too😊