How to Make a Stool With a Bucket

$20

I wanted a stool in our closed to put shoes on/take them off. I came up with the idea of recycling a paint bucket to create a pretty and comfortable stool. It turns out great! It's strong and lightweight at the time, so it easy to move it around the house depending on the needs.

how to make a stool with a bucket

Clean the bucket, and saw the top part as shown. The bucket height must be around 28 cm / 11″. 

Sand the edges.

how to make a stool with a bucket

Cut the dowel in 4 parts of 16″ each, sand edges. Draw four vertical lines on the bucket. Lines must be equidistant. My bucket circumference was 35 1/2″ so I drew a line every 9″. Then I measured the distance to place the screws. From bottom to top I placed 3 screws, at 1-5-9″.

how to make a stool with a bucket

Drill holes in the bucket (3 for each dowel). Place dowel in the bucket. Mark the location of the holes with a pencil on the dowel. Drill holes where the pencil mark is, do it for each dowel.

Put washer and screw dowel to the bucket. I didn’t have large clamps, so I stuck a piece of wood in the bottom of the bucket to keep the dowel fixed while I drove the screw.

how to make a stool with a bucket

What you must have at this point! Not pretty (yet) but functional stool!

To make the cover, you will need:

Batting (1.2 yard), a piece of cushion foam, silicone glue, fabric and thread and a sewing machine to make things easier.

how to make a stool with a bucket

Glue a first batting layer on the side of the bucket. Cut cushion foam to fit on the top and glue it.

Wrap a second layer of batting on all the height, paste and sew by hand batting edges together.

how to make a stool with a bucket

Cut and sew the fabric to make a cover for your stool. I just slide the cover on top of the stool so I can easily take it of for washing.

Simple and affordable way to make a stool! I hope you like it!

You can have a look at my blog for more pictures and details!

how to make a stool with a bucket
Ama Ryllis

• Peejay

How many pounds do you think this will hold

from a child up to an adult?

• Katie Williams

I think there should be cross bars from dowel to dowel to prevent the legs from buckling. Would give it extra support. Just my opinion. I agree with the other adbout leaving the. Lid covering it like it is.

• Norma M. Gard

I teach middle school. This is such a cute idea. Do you think it's durable enough for middle schoolers?

• Helen Arnold Williams

I have tried this project. I love it, extra seating for children. I can sit on it. I wt. over 150 lb.

• Peejay

Thank you for the response

This is a neat idea that me and my grandson can persue

• XYZ
    30 minutes ago

I will definitely be making quite a few of these for use and for decorative purposes. In fact, this project you've posted has given me a few ideas for other similar projects. Thank you so much for sharing. I especially love it because it's furniture...lol.