Glam Office Makeover - Wasted Corner Space to Functional Glam Office!

$600

I've done a number of home projects in the past but this office makeover "takes the cake" as the project with the tiniest space making the most visual and functional impact!

In our living room, we have a 20 cubby bookcase in the far end of the room. While this bookcase is great for storing a variety of things, I wasn't happy with how dark this mahogany-stained bookcase made our living room appear.

Here's another view of the bookcase in the corner of our living room. Notice how bare and under-utilized this space looks in our home.

After clearing everything off the bookcase, I had the task of giving it a full cleaning. Once cleaned, I applied a Chalk paint with primer to the bookcase. See end of post for paint used.

The first coat is always so scary. Evidence above. This is typically the point when you go ... "Uh, maybe painting wasn't such a good idea!" Fortunately, the nerves settle after several good coats of paint! :)

Painting the bookcase was the most time consuming task. I wasn't satisfied with the appearance until 3 coats of paint was applied. I then had to add 1 coat of "protective top coat." As you can see from photo below, the results were worth it.

After the bookcase (all 20 cubbies...sigh) were all painted, I assembled my new writing desk. This white desk was perfect for my corner office!

I'm especially happy with how much this new office corner reflects my personal style. Visit link here for more photos plus all the sources (desk, chair, accessories), for this space!

A corner office is not just reserved for corporate office locations anymore!

Love makeovers and home projects? Please visit  LINK HERE to subscribe to Beauteeful Living's newsletter. Hope you've enjoyed this post! - Tee

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Tee @ Beauteefulliving

• Monique

Why would you put the desk & chair where you can't get to some of the shelves?? Very crowded area!!

• Tee @ Beauteefulliving

Those cubbies that are covered store files that I rarely refer to during the year. I like that the area is cozy. Working in a dedicated "office" in my home (extra bedroom) isn't for me. I prefer my living room :)

• Margaret

where did your furniture come from/what STORE?

Thanks,

mjn

• Michelle

Looks great! where did you buy the bookcase from? I can't find one like that!!

• Tee @ Beauteefulliving

Hi Michelle, the bookcase was from Ikea (purchased 10 years ago). Ikea doesn't carry that same bookcase anymore. It's made out of pine. Since it was still in excellent condition, I kept it for this makeover. Repainting it gave it new life.

• Pat C

Looks like it's just matter of individual preference which way to go then. Thanks for the reply!

• C

If castors were installed on the legs, the desk could easily slide out of the way to access all items in the cubbies.