Under the Faux Mirror/Window

$35

I decided to move the table and lamp out of the entry way and it just seemed so empty there. It needed something. Have you ever felt that way about about a space in your home? So, my mind started whirling. I love chair rail and wall treatments that are below it, so I decided to make my own. Out came my trusty roll (of rapidly diminishing textured wallpaper). I think the reason that I like it so much is that

under the faux mirror window

This will be used horizontally on the wall as the chair rail.

under the faux mirror window

These will be used to make a pattern under the chair rail, running vertically. Can you tell where they came from on the upper picture? Now you can see how versatile this particular wallpaper can be?

under the faux mirror window

I even took a small bit from the roll to make an endcap to the chair rail. I only wanted the chair rail to go to the endpoint of the entryway. This was where the wall turned the corner and became the living room. So, I put the chair rail to just the point where the wall was flat, (just before the corner rounded) and put a small piece over the end of the chair rail to cap it and make it look like I had ended it on purpose.

under the faux mirror window

This is from the other side of the entry way with the endcap on it.

under the faux mirror window

These are the tools that I used to put the wallpaper up. I put glue on each strip of wallpaper and "booked" it to keep it moist as I applied it. This also help the strip to not have a mind of its own and start to run away with you. It only allows for how much YOU want to paste up WHEN you want to put it up. The sponge helps to smooth the wallpaper and adhere it to the wall without it grabbing the texture of the wall too tightly to punch little holes in your wallpaper. I use the putty knife to line up the edge for cutting on the baseboard and the new razor blades for cutting it off precisely. I used a light push on the roller to make sure the edges stuck as tightly as they could to my textured walls without mangling the wall paper, too. I might mention here that I had used a yardstick to base against the baseboard and measure up exactly where I wanted the chair rail to go. Using a light touch on the pencil, I drew a line on the wall for me to follow where I needed to put my vertical strips and my chair rail all the way around the entry. Then, covered it with the paper so it would not show.

under the faux mirror window

I tried to space things as evenly as I could. I formed a pattern of three together (ribbon, texture, ribbon). Then plain ribbon. Next, three with spaces (ribbon, texture, ribbon). Then plain ribbon. And Repeat the sequence starting with the three together (ribbon, texture, ribbon) and so forth. Because the walls were the same on both sides, it worked out perfectly.

under the faux mirror window

I was really wanting to go into the space between - where my craft room is, the bathroom and the closet - it has the brown only rug on the floor. But, I ran out of ribbon pieces and had to put endcaps on the chair rail that turned the corners into the space. It is OK though. This way the treatment is ONLY in the entry way. I was really surprised how large the entry way was when I did all this. And, this treatment made it LOOK even larger. I really like how it turned out and it went with the faux mirror/window perfectly.

under the faux mirror window

So, in the end, I painted the tacks in the faux mirror/window white with a special paint that was just for metal. It matched exactly. And, of course the treatment matched the faux mirror/window because it was made with the same wallpaper. It looks like a custom job.

under the faux mirror window

I have a small picture of an colorful stylized Initial of our last name on the space in the wall that is opposite the faux window/mirror. Again. It needed something. The entryway is much less crowded now. And, I like how it turned out. Hope you do, too. And, that this project gives you some ideas of what can done with your walls in your own home. (By the way, to get the extra wallpaper paste off of the wall, dilute some liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle, 3/1 - after your wallpaper has cured for a few days on the wall. Spray the wall and wallpaper and gently wash the wall with a soft sponge. Let dry and the residue from the glue should come off the first time. If not, repeat. It smells divine and is a quick trick to clean your flat painted walls.) And, I cannot stress how valuable knee pads are for this project, especially if you are working on tile. You will thank me for this one tip alone, I promise!

• Susan

I am loving the look of this. Can you paint this wallpaper? If so,

would you paint it before you hang it or after?

• Kelly Condie Thompson

I believe I am with Doris. The wall covering can be painted, but it would make it stiff and unyielding to put up as wall paper then. Like trying to put up a piece of painted fabric onto a wall. It just wouldn't be as easy. Saying this, it sure would be EASIER to paint is before you put it up than trying to cut in everything or tape everything off. I'm just afraid that it would stiffen it to the point that it might crack when you went to put it up or peel the paint off when you got it wet with the adhesive. So, I'm afraid if you do want to paint it, it 's going to be a multiple step process (also known as - lots of work.)

• Dawn

What is " booking" the wallpaper mean?

• Kelly Condie Thompson

Your wallpaper strips or borders are a certain length. But, you can only work with parts of those lengths at a time to have them secure to the wall and hang nicely. You can't be slopping glue all over so you prepare your paper a little at a time. Now, you don't want this glue to dry out, so you stick the glue sides to each other and they are wet enough that when you need to put up a portion, you just unstick it from the other glue side and let it stick to the wall. I'm sure You tube will have a demo or two for you to watch the pros and how they do it. If you get a chance, take a wallpapering course at a county extension service or see if you can act as an apprentice to a pro and help them for free until you learn their tricks. It will save you much time and aggravation if you really want it to look nice.

• Tweety

Could you please reveal the name of that particular wallpaper and the brand? Pretty please!?! 😊

• Jackie

I forgot to add that the wallpaper roll already has the adhesive on the back, but if you plan to cut it into strips like the makeover uses, I'd use the additional adhesive as well to keep the strips from peeling.

• Tiffany

I have a ton of wired ribbon, but I don't know what, if anything can be done with it, other than wrapping gifts, and using it to decorate the Christmas tree. I am open to any ideas, and I'm not really feeling all the time, and work - not to mention the fact that my back has a failed fusion, and I have 11 semi decent knee! I thought about framing the bathroom mirror, but I wanted to try to have a center bow at the top. You can tell me that I should find a different should be thinking about should move on, and keep looking for an easier project, and then just donate the ribbon! I'm sure it has to be more the fact that the weather in MN. has been so cold, and I'm not really inspired, so much as stir crazy!

• Kelly Condie Thompson

Oh Tiffany! You could be the neighborhood "Crazy Bow Lady"! There are so many uses for bows and wired ribbon makes the very prettiest bows. Have you ever seen a Bow-dabra or an EZbow maker (deluxe) (800) 311-6529? I used this particular board to make a big beautiful bow for every lamp post in our neighborhood for Christmas this year. I wrapped the poles with a candy cane stripe down from the bow to the ground and fastened them all to the poles with black zip ties. Easy up and easy down. The bows can be saved and reused for years. The bowdabra can be used for girl's hairbows, or bows for floral arrangements. You could have a neighborhood class and teach other women how to make the bows - after you master the skill from watching You-tube videos on the internet. You could offer your services to make bows for lawn decorations when moms come home from the hospital with new babies. Or welcome new neighbors into your subdivision. Ribbon can be used to outline pictures in frames, make borders on cabinet doors, glue onto candles or just tie onto them. Goodness! You have a treasure! Just look up ideas of what to do with ribbons online. You'll have so many ideas you won't know what to do with yourself. But, it will sure be lots of fun!!! Then you MUST post your creations on Hometalk, YES? Of course!!!

• Kelly Condie Thompson

I decided the corners needed a spark of color, so I purchased the vases and designed the floral arrangement in them. This is what the finished Entrance looks like now.