DIY PVC Pipe Privacy Screen

$100

The inspiration for this project was a decorative fence we saw at Walt Disney World's Epcot, as well as the upholstery print in a booth at a restaurant! Inspiration is everywhere!
Steph has been wanting to replace her garbage can privacy screen and this idea seemed like a perfect fit!

Watch the video!

This PVC fence found at Epcot at Walt Disney World was the inspiration for our screen.

This is Steph's old screen that we wanted to replace.

The first step was to purchase various sizes of PVC pipe. I sanded all the pipes prior to cutting to roughen up the surface so the adhesive would hold better once we started to put it together.

All the pipes were cut to about 2" thick on the miter saw. Smaller pieces of pipe were cut with a portable band saw. Watch the video to see this tool in action.

After we cut what seemed like enough pipe, we started fitting the pieces into the PVC pipe frame we made. (See the video or blog post for frame details.) We soon determined we needed a LOT more pieces. We went back to the store for more pipes and started cutting more slices!

We are working on a piece of insulation foam. We were hopeful that when we started gluing the pieces, the glue would not stick to the foam insulation. (Spoiler: the glue did not stick to the foam--success!)

The assembly process took about 4 hours! We used outdoor construction adhesive to connect the pipe slices.

The screen came off the insulation foam easily and the finished piece was strong and sturdy. We took it to Steph's house for the installation.

We put a couple of pieces of 2' long rebar into the ground and set the screen onto the ground. (There are more details on the blog about this part. Also, you can see details about how we dealt with the angle of the ground.)

Here's the screen from the street. We really like the look!

This is a good representation of the sizes of PVC pieces we used as well as where we glued the pieces to each other.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Mother Daughter Projects

• Smi48581026

Can a hot glue gun be used to put the cut pipes together? I love this idea 🥰 it could also be made to be a trellis, a window cover for privacy.

Thank you for sharing this idea.

• Farmdogge

PVC will yellow & become more brittle in the sun. I would recommend a coat of paint for prevention. Krylon makes spray paint for plastic.

• Steve

What is a "Mickey"?

• Steve

Thanks. I thought it might mean that at first, but then I thought there are so many groups of three circles (of all sizes) that look like Mickey Mouse that it maybe meant something different. Unfortunately my curiosity had me Googling for a slang meaning of 'Mickey', other than the obvious "Mickey Finn". I found lots - none of which might apply to a decorative panel and most of which would make a trucker blush!

• MarlaAnne Mousseau

So wouldn’t it have been easier to use the glass acrylic like those used around decks? By using one piece on each side of the project for two purposes one of the pieces of PVC PIPE would stay in place plus so it didn’t have to individually glue them in place and the second part to keep dust and dirt out of the project hard to clean nooks and crannies to prevent having to constantly wash it off.... just wondering?

• Funnygirl

I really like your screen and I learned a lot on your great tutorial!I do want to make a suggestion?Unless you really wanted a Mickey screen,Lowe’s has an extensive stock of premade pvc panels that would have been a lot easier to complete your project.They dont advertise them,I found them online accidentally but they are very nice.Sometimes you just have to have a Mickey! Thanks for your suggestions and for sharing!

• Mother Daughter Projects

Yes, we're aware of the premade decorative screen and even ordered a sample from a company. In the end, we decided to create our own, but premade piece is a lot less work! They Mickey's were an unexpected bonus! ~Vicki

• Sally Smith

I am in love with this. One of the best projects I've seen so far. And how beautiful - mother and daughter