Watch my painting tile tutorial!

How to Paint Over That Ugly Bathroom Tile

$40
1 Day

Below is our bathtub. We had plans to get rid of it as soon as we moved in, but then surprisingly we enjoyed using it! So now we want to keep it, but that 80s look just had to change!

how to paint over that ugly bathroom tile

Hmmm, the tile is in good shape, could I just paint the tile?? Well, yes, I could! Let me show you how to paint tile without removing it!

Last week I showed you how I did a bathroom cabinet makeover using paint, and the tub surround also got the same treatment.

For this post I painted ceramic tile with chalk paint. How in the world do you get paint to stick to shiny ceramic tile??? It’s all about that primer! I tried out a new (to me) product called Slick Stick. It makes paint stick to slick things.

First, I cleaned the tile using White Lightning; just sprayed and wiped with paper towels. 

Second, I applied Slick Stick. I used a Dixie Belle brush to apply. Once dry, I did a second coat of primer. It’s smelly so work in a well ventilated area. Remember the primer is the real to-how for painting tile! 

I let the primer dry overnight. Once dried, the flat finish was ready to paint!

For my base coat of paint I chose Midnight Sky. It’s an almost but not quite black color. Perfect for my stenciling vision. 

I painted two coats. A 16oz jar of paint covered the tub surround twice with extra to spare. The paint also dries quickly.

Here's where I almost panicked-Black Tile?!

I kept painting because I knew the best was yet to come.

Here's a sneak peak of the finished tile. Be sure to check back next week when I'll show how to stencil it all ( check here)!

If you like this project please  subscribe to my emails. Follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture where I share more tips and advice. 

Jenni Ingram

• Marlene

Cannthis paint medium be used in a shower stall where it can get wet?

• Katherine

So what did you seal the tile with after you did just insulae how are you able to wash your tile and now everybody's got to wash the tile around a bathtub more water it's got to be sealed somehow

• Annie Saunders
    Yesterday

I want to paint tile left over from someone's finished job i got free. They arent wall tile, they are floor tile. Any suggestions on how to do those?