How to Build a Bathroom Cabinet Door Garbage Can

$10

After years of keeping our garbage cans on top (yes, I said on top) of our counters, it was time for a change. Our bathroom garbage cans always seemed in the way and ugly, even on the floor. But, once we had a baby, they became a germ-filled toy. So, we went with keeping them up and out of reach on the counters. But, that's not at all a good solution. This week, I finally came up with the best fix, for us. I built custom trash cans for our bathroom cabinet doors.

Be sure to watch the video to get my tips for picking the best dimensions for your trash can and some things to plan around.

You can see my tips for picking the best dimensions for your trash can on this video.

Set dimensions for your trash can that will still allow you to open and close the door easily. Also, be sure that your cabinets are strong enough to support a few extra pounds and thick enough to allow for screws.

Then cut 1/2" plywood to size.

Sand the fronts, ends, and edges smooth. I work up to 120 or 150 grit when painting and 220 when staining.

Glue and brad nail the pieces together. Keep everything square when assembling.

This part is optional, but I went with moulding on the corners to add an extra element to the design. Skipping the moulding works just as well.

Once assembled, use wood filler as needed. Let dry, then sand those spots.

Once assembled and painted or stained, attach angle brackets to mount the garbage can. I went with 1 on each side and 1 on the bottom.

Be sure to attach the can far enough from the end of the door to allow for closing and low enough to let you have a couple of inches above the top for taller bits of garbage. You can see the full details in the video or on my site here.

Stephanie Abbott