Sofa Barber... at Your Service

$10

My sofa and loveseat are the open weave type which really if you have pets   just don't do it because their little nails seem to make a mess of the fabric.

Anyway, I googled and apparently sofas should last 7 to 15 years which I am sure is based on how costly the furniture is. Mine is an Ashley sofa so wasn't exceptionally pricey at about $500-$600 but still this being 6 years old needs to last a little longer.

I'm not quite ready to get a new set so I was searching for a solution... how to get rid of the little pillies and nubs that stick out like a sore thumb.

sofa barber at your service

Someone suggested a sweater defuzzer and I thought no way could a little battery powered sweater shaver handle that much fuzz. But I'm here to show you it can! You can just call me the sofa barber!

I do suggest if you have some really long pieces use scissors on them and cut them a bit shorter or the shaver might tug on it. We don't need a hole in it, that's for sure, lol!

sofa barber at your service

I ordered the Conair one at Amazon (link below) because it had a guard collar to adjust how close you get since I was afraid of putting a hole in the fabric. **You can use any similar product**

sofa barber at your service

But let me say even though I started out tentative in my shaving it wasn't long before I threw caution to the wind, yanked the guard collar off and shaved like a pro as close as I could lol.

So really any defuzzer should be just fine!

sofa barber at your service

Ewwww!  The shame of it!  I suspect the gray color of it is because it had some discoloration from blue jean rub, the cat hair, and yes it really needed a cleaning.

sofa barber at your service

I really suggest aerosol SPOT SHOT for carpets (and sofas!) because it works so well on most fabrics - even sofas and clothing and is basically a spray, dab and done product. I always have some in my cleaning supplies.

As with any product test in a hidden area to see how it does because sofas fabrics are all different.

sofa barber at your service

MUCH better after a shampoo with a shave and a haircut...and it cost me the price of a fabric defuzzer!

• Diane

What is the best way to clean faux suede couch

• Joyce

I have a faux leather sofa that my kitty has made into her scratching post. Is there anything I can do to discourage her? I have tried spraying vinegar, putting the tape that is supposed to discourage cats from scratching, spraying her with water (when I am there and aware she's doing it) but nothing really works. I can't afford to have it recovered, I can't do it, and possibly there is a paint? or something?

• Lana Abdullah

Will try this as i will not de-claw him and he ignores the scratching posts. Thank you

• Dee

How to clean suede

• Joyce

Hi Jennifer, that's an easy one to try! Thank you!

• Broke But Happy

My cat began to scratch my brand new sofa before I'd even removed the tags! I used this defuzzer but it was a relatively smooth weave fabric and didn't remove everything. I then (WARNING:DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME😂) used a lighter very quickly and CAREFULLY. The fabric is synthetic and the strings melted right up and could then be shaved. Yes a recipe for disaster, but went fine.