Sondra
Sondra
  • Hamilton, OH

Transform Plain Glass Vases Into Gorgeous Sea Glass

$10

Using only a couple of items you most likely already have around your home you can give plain clear glass the lovely look of sea glass. This DIY is super quick and easy.

The full blog post DIY can be found here.

Only a Few Simple Items are Needed
Only a Few Simple Items are Needed

Begin with clear vases like these I purchased at the Target Dollar spot. The vases you use need to be clear glass, but they do not have to be smooth like those I use. Intricate cut glass is also beautiful when used with this technique.

Make Sure the Glass is Clean Before You Begin

The first thing you will want to do is make sure the surface of the glass is clean. I used rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt and oil from the surface.

A Small Amount of Glue is all this is Needed

Next you will need enough glue to cover the entire surface. It actually takes less than you think and the small amount pictured above was more than enough to cover two of my vases. I used Elemer's School glue which I "borrowed" from my daughter's slime ingredients stash.

Use a toothpick to add a tiny bit of food coloring to the glue. You want to use a toothpick to make sure you only add a little color. To achieve the sea glass effect the color needs to be light and transparent.

Stir the food coloring/glue mixture until the color is smooth.

Add in the Food Color
Add in the Food Color

I used a sponge paint brush to apply the food coloring/glue mixture to my vases. As I said, the small amount pictured above was enough for two vases. After I finished with the yellow vase, I added some blue color to the mixture and used that to paint the green vase.

Paint on the Glue/Food Color Mixture
Paint on the Glue/Food Color Mixture

Only a very light coat is needed. If the mixture is applied too thickly it will not dry evenly and will not appear as transparent as sea glass when dry.

Sea Glass Vases while Drying
Sea Glass Vases while Drying

Brush lines will be visible as the mixture dries and while it is drying you may think that you did something wrong. I was a little worried when I saw just how streaked these were as they dried.

DIY Sea Glass Vases
DIY Sea Glass Vases

However, when they were completely dry the brush lines vanished and the surface appears smooth.

DIY Sea Glass Vases with Succulents
DIY Sea Glass Vases with Succulents

I added a succulent stem to each vase and now these are ready to add to my Easter décor!

Note: Glass treated with this method is not waterproof. Water will make the glue sticky again and will allow the color to wash off.

Sondra

• Kelly Carrasco

After you paint your vases and allow them to dry well, can you spray them with a clear acrylic to help make them waterproof?

• Susie

Very good point, Esther, in answer to Kelly's question! DO be sure to spray top of bottle with the sealant so as to seal the point where the colored paint ends at the mouth of the bottle! Makes GOOD sense.

• Margaret

What would I use to prevent it from washing off?

• Maggie Mitchell

Hi Margaret, you can bake these at 200 degrees for an hour and the color will never come off...

• Marian Oneilsmith

Would UV spray be good enough to seal the glass with. I've been using it on all my fairy garden items, 3 coats to keep them from fading?

• Sondra

That might work. I have had a lot of questions about sealing them so I bought a couple more to try so different options. The way I’m using mine I don’t mind that they aren’t waterproof so I didn’t initially look for a way to waterproof them. Hopefully I can try a couple options next week. Thanks for the UV spray suggestion. I’m going to get some for my fairy garden! I’ve noticed a couple things there starting to fade.

• Elaine

Mod Podge comes in colors and works better. It is a stronger, more transparent glue than Elmer’s, made specifically for these types of crafts. I also use my more transparent acrylic paint colors to stain the Podge, rather than food coloring. The paint is much more stable than food coloring. Mod Podge also makes a product that is supposed to be dishwasher safe. I have not tried it to see if it works. I would not put one of these “sea glass” bottles in the dishwasher as that would probably ruin it, even with the better materials. The idea is just to create a more durable product. You can always wash the dust off them with soap and water and add a fresh coat of Podge to brighten them up. It comes in Matte, Satin, and High Gloss finishes. Hope this tips will help someone.

• Kat Rogers

SUPER CUTE~ I Really Like Them! And they came out GR8 simply by using TWO ITEMS~Well 3 if you include the toothpick~ most people have in their house already (particularly non~ Crafters), should That I~Gotta~Create Bug suddenly strike.

Thanks for sharing this Cute & Easy Idea!

Happy🐇Easter🐥!

🐈

• Sondra

Thank you so much!! I’m glad you like them.