Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

Bench Makeover

$50

When I ran across this vintage bench at a yard sale, I knew she could be beautiful if given a little TLC. It had been stored in a shed for quite some time and the fabric was musty smelling and very dated. Otherwise, the bench was sturdy and had a shape that I loved.

bench makeover

I removed the seat completely so that I was just left with the frame. I also removed the springs.

bench makeover

The wood frame had a yellow, speckled type of finish. I painted the wood and caning with two coats of the color, Midnight Sky, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

bench makeover

Rather than reupholstering the cushion, I replaced it with 1" x 3" boards to form the seat. The end boards had to be notched out to go around the legs of the bench.

bench makeover

I stained the boards with Dixie Belle VooDoo Gel Stain using the color, Tobacco Road. VooDoo Gel Stain is water based so it makes for easy clean up. The stained wood with the black paint makes for a great contrast.

bench makeover

No more musty smell, no more dated look... just a beautiful clean bench with a modern updated style.

bench makeover
Virginia B

• Kitty Connors

Does the paint come in any other color?

• Virginia B

Dixie Belle has 64 colors. And, they mix together nicely to create other colors.

• JoeAnna Taylor

Great project results. But, I’m wondering what kind of flooring was that in the last picture? They wall is lovely, but the floor is incredible!

• Virginia B

Actually that isn't a real floor. It's a photo backdrop that I use for staging my furniture pieces. I wish it was real!