Bench Makeover

$50

When I ran across this vintage bench at a yard sale, I knew she could be beautiful if given a little TLC. It had been stored in a shed for quite some time and the fabric was musty smelling and very dated. Otherwise, the bench was sturdy and had a shape that I loved.

I removed the seat completely so that I was just left with the frame. I also removed the springs.

The wood frame had a yellow, speckled type of finish. I painted the wood and caning with two coats of the color, Midnight Sky, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

Rather than reupholstering the cushion, I replaced it with 1" x 3" boards to form the seat. The end boards had to be notched out to go around the legs of the bench.

I stained the boards with Dixie Belle VooDoo Gel Stain using the color, Tobacco Road. VooDoo Gel Stain is water based so it makes for easy clean up. The stained wood with the black paint makes for a great contrast.

No more musty smell, no more dated look... just a beautiful clean bench with a modern updated style.

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Virginia B

• JoeAnna Taylor
    JoeAnna Taylor

Great project results. But, I’m wondering what kind of flooring was that in the last picture? They wall is lovely, but the floor is incredible!

• Paty
    Paty

How do I fix cat scratches on my leather chairs and sofa ?

• Viv
      Viv

Paty Re: the cat scratches on your leather furniture..sadly it prob. can't be fixed..but I would keep good leather conditioner products on it....I too have leather furniture..I can tell you what to do as a deterrent..any where the cats chose to stretch/scratch on your furniture just place a cat scratching post there..boom problem solved..I have 4 around the house not one piece of furniture scratched by cats claws ...now pups claw scratches on couch I put shoe polish on heavily..and buff out..looks way better..re: dogs on leather furniture..keep your furniture covered with beautiful quilts!!

• Joanne
    Joanne

That is a beautiful bench. I'm going to begin my search for an old bench. Wish me luck! I want one in my home! Joanne

• Virginia B
      Virginia B

Good luck on your search. If you don't find one like mine you could try making one out of 2 chairs.

• Bettybusby18
    Bettybusby18

Absolutely gorgeous! So fresh without cushion. .great job!

• Joanie
    Joanie

I really like what you done. A super nice piece of furniture!!