CribbsStyle
CribbsStyle
  • Mount Pleasant, SC

How to Install a Farmhouse Drop in Sink.

$900
1 Day

**I was given products for this project, but the post and opinion are my own.**

When we moved in, we needed a new sink, but were not ready to replace the countertops. We loved the style of the farmhouse sink, but most were under mount, until we found the Josephine sink from Sinkology. S

Kitchen sink before.
Kitchen sink before.

I turned off the water to the faucet and turned the electric off to the garbage disposal. I disconnected the garbage disposal following the manufacturer's instructions. I scored the caulk around the sink, disconnected the plumbing, and lifted the sink out.

how to install a farmhouse drop in sink

After the sink was removed I cleaned off the old caulk. Using the BILTapp per the manufacturer's instructions, I measured the existing hole and made the necessary cuts to allow for the new sink.

how to install a farmhouse drop in sink

Once the cuts were made, the sink was dry fit to ensure that it fit the new space. Silicone was added to around the lip of the sink and the new sink dropped back into place.

how to install a farmhouse drop in sink

A new faucet was installed, plumbing and garbage disposal reattached. A bead of caulk ran around the sink and counter. This drop in sink is the perfect answer for someone who loves the look of the farmhouse sink, but under mount is not an option.

how to install a farmhouse drop in sink
CribbsStyle

• Michelle Jaques

Wow! Great job! Can you come to my house and show me how? ;) I give you so much credit for taking on a job like that. Good for you!

• Laura Keenan

Yes, fantastic job and I love the back splash, perfect aqua shade to bright up the kitchen also! When you are ready for a ne countertop, I love my granite we hired to install, very affordable because we also did it in master bath & a different shade in guest bathroom. fyi, I prefer it to quartz. Quartz is just too contemporary for our taste. Granite goes well with wood floors and country kitchens. Your floor is also pretty. We need to refinish ours, but won’t until puppy is 2 years or so older. Lol, You did a wonderful job and like the open shelving at top. Thinking about that myself also. Don’t listen to others, they just don’t have your magical touch or ideas of what something could be. 😘

• Lyn

Did the cabinet doors not fit under the new sink? I love it all BTW!!!! Great job!!!

• Carol

Looks good. Are you able to put doors back on the cupboard? I see a cloth hanging there.

• Kyle Klaver

Hey love the article - you give some great tips for installing a top mount farmhouse sink. I know a ton of people are probably wondering what the difference would be between installing an undermount sink. Well, you would set the sink first then place the countertop overtop. When choosing your cabinet size, you'll want to pick a cabinet size that's 3 inches bigger leaving an inch and a half on both sides. The most popular farmhouse sinks right now are Fireclay. They are tricky to install because every sink is unique and comes with a slight variance to the size. But the biggest concern is weight. You will need extra support. Usually from 2x4's. We've included more info on fireclay and how to install here https://www.annieandoak.com/collections/fireclay-farmhouse-sinks

One last thing about overmount installation. Be sure you choose a sink with a thicker wall.

Thanks again for your guide.

Cheers,

Kyle

• Love, love, love your kitchen! You are so talented!