How to Install a Farmhouse Drop in Sink.

$900
1 Day

**I was given products for this project, but the post and opinion are my own.**

When we moved in, we needed a new sink, but were not ready to replace the countertops. We loved the style of the farmhouse sink, but most were under mount, until we found the Josephine sink from Sinkology. S

Kitchen sink before.

I turned off the water to the faucet and turned the electric off to the garbage disposal. I disconnected the garbage disposal following the manufacturer's instructions. I scored the caulk around the sink, disconnected the plumbing, and lifted the sink out.

After the sink was removed I cleaned off the old caulk. Using the BILTapp per the manufacturer's instructions, I measured the existing hole and made the necessary cuts to allow for the new sink.

Once the cuts were made, the sink was dry fit to ensure that it fit the new space. Silicone was added to around the lip of the sink and the new sink dropped back into place.

A new faucet was installed, plumbing and garbage disposal reattached. A bead of caulk ran around the sink and counter. This drop in sink is the perfect answer for someone who loves the look of the farmhouse sink, but under mount is not an option.

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Brooke Cribbs- Cribbs Style

• Carol

Looks good. Are you able to put doors back on the cupboard? I see a cloth hanging there.

• 1cs1267

I noticed toward the front of the countertop, there seems to be notched areas you cut out on both sides of the front where the apron would actually be … is that why? Does the template for the cut out include those notched areas?

• 1cs1267

We are considering installing this exact sink. Our countertop is formica, and I cannot afford to replace it. What type of saw did you use for cutting the countertop? I read that a jigsaw with downward teeth is the best option so that you don't splinter the formica. And that it needs to be fine toothed. Also, what are notches that you cutout ... I thought it would be a "straight line" cut on each side for the apron ... thank you.

• Kyle Klaver

Hey love the article - you give some great tips for installing a top mount farmhouse sink. I know a ton of people are probably wondering what the difference would be between installing an undermount sink. Well, you would set the sink first then place the countertop overtop. When choosing your cabinet size, you'll want to pick a cabinet size that's 3 inches bigger leaving an inch and a half on both sides. The most popular farmhouse sinks right now are Fireclay. They are tricky to install because every sink is unique and comes with a slight variance to the size. But the biggest concern is weight. You will need extra support. Usually from 2x4's. We've included more info on fireclay and how to install here https://www.annieandoak.com/collections/fireclay-farmhouse-sinks

One last thing about overmount installation. Be sure you choose a sink with a thicker wall.

Thanks again for your guide.

Cheers,

Kyle

• Laurie Laurent-Hyland

Love, love, love your kitchen! You are so talented!