Good Bye Hot Sun

$40

The front of our home faces the west.In the Summer the sun literally beats in the front window.When we first moved in, prior to the building of the front arbor for shade,the kids would burn their hands on the the front door knob!!The sun has melted several sets of mini blinds over the years.So when I say it beats in and heats up this portion of the house it's no exaggeration!

I decided to put up One Way Mirror Window Filmwhich has Anti UV Heat Control for Sun Blocking.It has a slight tint and is removable.

I used 2Rhodesy One Way Mirror Window Film, Anti UV Heat Control, StaticCling, Privacy Window Film, Decorative, Removable, Window Tint Sun Blocking, 35.4x 78.7 inch, Silver ~ which I picked up from  Amazon.

You'll also need sharp scissors, a sharp razor, squeegee, dish soap, spray bottle and a cup of COFFEE!

Clean your glass thoroughly.

Measure and cut film, leaving an extra 1-2 inches around the edges.

Remove the plastic liner revealing the sticky side.

Since I was doing this by myself, I found it helpful to use a couple of chairs to lay the film over.

Fill the squirt bottle about 3/4 with water,add a squirt of dish soap. Mix slowly so you don't get lots of bubbles.Thoroughly spray the film

Also spray the window thoroughly with soapy water. I found the more soapy water, the easier to slide the film into place, and/or readjust.Put the film on the window.

I used one of those plastic cards you get in the mail for a squeegee to get bubbles out and smooth film.

It worked perfectly

Trim away extra film on the edge of the window frame with your sharp razor.

Finished! Looking from outside in.Mirror effect. :)We haven't hit the heat of the Summer yet, but it's already making a difference with intensity of the Sun.A bit awkward to do by yourself, but well worthwhile.For more info, tips and video see my blog: https://dragonflytreasure.blogspot.com/2019/05/keeping-that-hot-sun-out.html

Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Been looking in doing this for a while on my front windows. Only problem I have read is that the window film should not be used on double pane glass as the heat build up can cause the seals to fail and even crack the glass. Will need to do more investigating and research.

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Hadn't read that in my research. I have double pane windows, but all seals failed within the 2nd year of buying new home - cheap builder. Stuck with foggy windows that the sun/heat still gets through. Will do an update if my windows crack.

My daughter put the film on her bedroom windows several years ago, She's on the opposite side of the house so only gets morning sun. Maybe not hot enough to crack?

If my front do crack at least I'll get clear windows again! Well, one for the whole house at least

Thanks for the info, If it happens at least I'll know why!