Making a Hoop Wreath

$24

This is my first attempt at making a hoop wreath. I wanted a springtime hoop wreath to hang on the front of my house. Here is how it turned out!

making a hoop wreath

I wanted to try my hand at making a hoop wreath so, I headed out to JoAnn Fabrics where I got most of my supplies on sale at half price, which made the project all the more enjoyable!

making a hoop wreath

I started the project with an assortment of silk flowers, a metal hoop and some spring green ribbon, all purchased from JoAnn Fabrics.

making a hoop wreath

The base of the wreath was this metal, brass-looking hoop from the Bloom Room Artisan collection from Jo Ann Fabrics. All the flowers were from this collection, as well.

making a hoop wreath

To attach the silk flowers to the hoop base I used a cloth-covered wire. Using this kind of wire is very stable and does not prick your fingers like the sharp edge of non-covered wire can.

making a hoop wreath

The first "flower" I attached to the hoop was the fake succulant because it was the heaviest of the silk flowers and I thought it would be best to work around this flower rather than having to add it later in the process. It might have been bulky to add in later.

making a hoop wreath

I slowly added more silk flowers to the hoop and attached them with the wire.

making a hoop wreath

I arranged the flowers by eye onto the hoop, re-evaluating the look with each additional flower. You can play around with this and no arrangement is a mistake if YOU like how it looks.

making a hoop wreath

As you can see, I randomly wired the flowers in place to secure the stems. I kept all the wire work on the back of the hoop for obvious reasons.

making a hoop wreath

I separated this leafy pick into individual stems because I thought the cluster of leaves would be too much for the wreath. The leaves left in a clump would overwhelm the hoop. This process is easy to do. Simply tug lightly on the wire and pull it down until it separates from the original cluster. The individual leaves are more easy to wire onto the hoop, as well.

making a hoop wreath

Here is the finished product. I really liked how it turned out. To finish it off, I tied the green ribbon to the hoop and hung it on the front side of my house. All-in-all, it was a fairly easy project except for the wiring of the flowers. That can take strong hands at times and might need a little patience.

Christine Mitchell