Make a Gravel Garden Path

$300

Here's an easy weekend DIY yard project. Pathways add visual interest to your yard and look beautiful winding around a flower bed.

But a pathway can also help solve a soggy yard problem. If your entry path to your front door is always wet, a gravel path will fix that. And it will add value to your home as well.

If you have a well used pathway, consider improving it with gravel and edging. You won't ever have to deal with puddles of water or muddy feet ever again.

First, dig out any sod in the path. Be sure to get all the grass out of there. Then level the walkway using a rake.

We used landscape fabric and I really recommend it. This will stop any weeds from coming up under the gravel. It is well worth buying a roll!

We also used rubber edging along both sides of the path. This helps to keep the gravel out of the flower beds.

After this prep work is done, it's time to start adding gravel. We just used a wheelbarrow to get the gravel in place. We ended up with the gravel two inches deep.

Rake the gravel out smoothly ;it will settle further as you walk on it.

The area we ended up covering with gravel was quite large. Still this took us one weekend to get done.

Here's the finished walk way. We love it and it has stood up for several years now with no maintenance.

I made the flower bed just before we added the walkway. Here's how I made that perennial flower bed.

For special tips and more step by step instructions on how to make your own path, check out the article on our website, Country Living in a Cariboo Valley.

Annie

• Joanie

It looks country and I love it. "I was raised on Country Sunshine".....

• Jan

How do you clean the leaves out. I have a gravel walk now and I cannot keep it clean over the winter.

• Annie

Just use a leafblower on it. That will work