Quick and Easy Denim Rag Quilt

$20

This denim rag quilt is a delight to snuggle under, the denim adds weight so you feel super cosy. My quilt is made from old jeans and lined with old pillow cases. It is a perfect quilt to start making quilts with, no precise straight lines of stiching required!!

Start by cutting out panels of denim from old jeans, the bigger the quilt the more old jeans you will need.

quick and easy denim rag quilt

Trim your denim, removing all zips, waistbands. Make a decision re pockets, you may like to keep them as a feature or remove them. I removed them for ease of sewing.

You will be making panels of quilted denim, and then sewing the panels together. Decide on the size of your finished quilt.

Cut denim into rough sizes for your panels. My finished panels measure between 10-17″ and 104″ long. These were trimmed to size once sewn.

quick and easy denim rag quilt

Lay down the first piece of denim right side to the table, next lay your lining right side up, then your second piece of lining wrong side up, and lastly your second piece of denim right side facing you. Stitch a seam 5/8" wide. Repeat adding panels until you have made the desired width of the quilt.

quick and easy denim rag quilt

Trim the panel into a long rectangle, I used the edge of the rug for the first side and a large book as a guide for trimming the width of the panel. Pin each seam to stop it coming apart. Stitch along the long sides to hold these seams together, 1cm in. Remove pins.

quick and easy denim rag quilt

Snip into the seam allowance, being super careful not to cut the stitches. Pin sides of your long panels together and stitch.

quick and easy denim rag quilt

You are nearly there, sew around the edge of the quilt 5/8"in, then cut into this seam allowance to create the fraying. Machine wash your finished quilt to fray the edges, the more you wash the more the edges will fray.

quick and easy denim rag quilt

Check out my blog post for measurements for various sizes of beds for your denim rag quilt. If you are new to sewing denim I have a you tube video explaining the settings for your sewing machine.

Vickymcreations