Pamela Hallissey
Pamela Hallissey
  • Naperville, IL

DIY House Number Planter

$25
1 Day

You can add a lot of curb appeal to your home with this DIY house number planter. Switching out the flowers to reflect the season will create a warm welcome for your guests.

diy house number planter

For more fun DIY ideas, check out my blog HERE.

diy house number planter

What you’ll need for a DIY house number planter: 

• 1 x 12 x 4 board (shortest I could find)–this will be the base
  • (1) 1″ x 6″ and (1) 1″ x 4″ (you’ll use less than 2′ so get shorter boards)
  • house numbers
  • measuring tape/pencil
  • sandpaper
  • wood conditioner/stain
  • wood glue
  • polyurethane
  • hammer and nails (I also used a brad nailer)
  • flowers

I started making my house number sign by cutting the 1 x 12 to measure 15″ for my base.

To cut the wood for the box, I made two 4″ cuts and a 10″ cut from the 1 x 4. I also cut 10 inches of the 1 x 6, then sliced 3/4″ off the width to make it match up with the other pieces once the box was assembled. 

diy house number planter

I always sand my wood before staining and wipe it down with a clean, lint free cloth. This gives me a smooth surface, rough surfaces can take in more stain giving a blotchy look. 

Wood conditioner is a MUST for even staining. I applied this on the wood first.

diy house number planter
diy house number planter

When completely dried, I used 2 coats of hickory. It was still too light once I looked at it in the sun, so I decided to put on a coat of chestnut and followed up with two coats of polyurethane. 

diy house number planter

To assemble the box I bookended the 10″ piece with the two 4″ pieces I cut from the 1 x 4. I applied wood glue and nailed them together.

Then I glued and nailed the last panel (biggest) which became the front piece. 

diy house number planter

To attach it to the base, I used a brad nailer to “hold” it in place then turned it around to mark on the back where the box was on the front.

diy house number planter

Use a measuring tape and a pencil so you know where to put your nails. I put a nail into every corner of the box from the back.

diy house number planter
diy house number planter

I used a straight line to attach the numbers.

diy house number planter

For a pop of personality, I added 1-1/2 inch brackets I found in the hardware department at Home Depot.

diy house number planter

Here's the finished product. I nailed a sawtooth hanger onto the back and hung it to an anchored screw I drilled into the mortar of my brick wall.

diy house number planter

Pamela Hallissey

• Laura

Are there holes drilled in the bottom for drainage for watering the flowers?

• Pamela Hallissey

Yes, I added some and then I poked holes in 2 clear solo cups and put the soil/flowers in those. I read that soil shouldn’t sit against wood because it can hold a lot of moisture and, over time, could rot the wood. I figured the draining holes would let out extra water without drenching the bottom of the box.

• Janie Anderson

It would also work great for those of us who don't have a green thumb. Using Styrofoam and fake flowers. You could also change these out for the seasons, and holidays as well. I can already picture red and blue carnations, with baby's breath, for the 4th of July! Thank you for such a versatile and wonderful idea. Because I live in a rural area, I would want to use reflective numbers, so they can be seen at night, as well. I love this....

• Pamela Hallissey

Thank you! I keep picturing a mini pumpkin in there for the fall!