Ornate Coffee Table Makeover

$5

I recently purchased a beautiful coffee table from an online action. In the photos it looked like it would be a perfect match for our console table. They both had a marble top and the legs looked similar in colour. But once I picked it up it was clear it was no match!

Photo from online auction
Photo from online auction

The base looked like it had been given a makeover already – using mustard yellow and what I can best describe as ‘swamp green’ outlines! Interesting colour choices…but certainly not my taste!

Green details!
Green details!

It was also extremely dirty looking. So I started that same way I do with any makeover, I cleaned it with TSP degreaser / cleaner. But strangely the ‘dirt’ was not coming off. I even tried a magic eraser dipped in TSP, but it still wasn’t looking clean.  

After cleaning - still looks filthy
After cleaning - still looks filthy

So the next thing I did, which was something I’d never done before, was to paint it with stain blocking primer.  

Primer
Primer

After it dried, the dark spots were still bleeding through. But since I was painting it I just left it with one coat of primer.

Bleed through
Bleed through

I then used a 2 oz jar of craft paint in Acorn colour. The little jar was enough to paint the entire table base! Bought the paint on sale for 77 cents!

2 oz of paint
2 oz of paint

Once that was dry, I glazed it to help bring out the ornate details in the wood. I mixed 2 tbsp of glaze with one tbsp of ash coloured paint.  

Glaze mixture
Glaze mixture

I brushed in on it small sections and immediately wiped it off so the glaze was left in the corners and details only. I tried not to overdo it as I find going too heavy handed with glaze or dark wax just ends up looking dirty.

After glazing
After glazing

Once that was dry I dry brushed the details with the same brand of paint – in Putty colour. I dipped the brush in the paint and then dabbed as much off the brush as possible and just lightly brushed over the raised details to highlight them a little more.

Dry brush with lighter shade
Dry brush with lighter shade

Once it was dry I added new padded feet and placed the marble back on top. And even though there doesn’t appear to be a drastic change looking at the process photos, there really is a huge difference in person. No more mustard and green!  

After
After

And it blends in beautifully with our console table.  If you are interested on how I did that makeover check it out on my projects page https://www.hometalk.com/41524027/console-table-dilapidated-rosewood-goes-rose-gold

Console table in the same room
Console table in the same room
ornate coffee table makeover
Charlie's opinion?  Meh...
Charlie's opinion? Meh...

I bought the coffee table for $30 at auction and then came straight home and sold our plain ikea coffee table for $30. So basically I traded an ikea table (that I bought used for $30 five years ago) for a beautiful piece of history! 

And the best part is that it was super easy to makeover and I used a maximum of $5 worth of products. I very nice upgrade, in my opinion. :)

• Suze

nice job, but i especially love the sofa pillows...where did you find that furry one behind the plant?

• Valerie Burge

Too funny!  It took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about! LOL But yes, Charlie Boy is a very lovable pillow!! :)