No hardware 😮 this is my first piece that doesn’t have drawer pulls. Hmm, pretty in pink?
Dressing up a Dresser!
Okay, I MAY have a slight problem. I find myself constantly trolling online for new project pieces. Is there really such a thing as too many?! 😂 Of course when I saw this cute dresser, I couldn’t pass it up! ♥️ My hubby (the enabler) agreed and went with me to pick it up. We discussed some ideas while wrapping up another project. Ready for some fun new ideas? Me too!! Let’s go...
Of course I want to stain that top! If you follow me, you know I believe in solid prep work. So, sanding is required. For the top, orbital sander with 120 grit, followed by a 220 grit to ensure it is nice and smooth. Since the rest will be painted, I just went over it enough to roughen it up.
For the top, I brushed on a wood conditioner, waited 20 minutes, and stained. On the left you can see the top after conditioner, and on the right, after stain. Look at that wood grain! ♥️♥️ I applied the wood conditioner with a small brush (a chip brush is perfect), and I applied the stain with paper towel. Just remember to go back and wipe off any stain that didn’t penetrate. Wait a good 15 to twenty minutes, and then just go over it with a clean rag or paper towel.
First up, some new paint for me to use! I have heard some great things about Dixie Belle, but this is my first time using their paint. This was one of the two colors my enabler chose! He was the major designer for this one...he just let me do the work. 😂
First coat is on! I like how well this paint covers. I made sure I read it and used a damp brush, that really makes the paint glide right on.
I did mention this was going to be a post of firsts, right?! Well then, how about some stripes???
👀 at these metallic stripes!! Painted with Dixie Belle Moonshine Metallic Rozay.
I have to say the lighting in our bedroom is TERRIBLE. but here she is ready for the next step. This was one coat of Dixie Belle Tea Rose, and now for that next step...
I apologize for the terrible lighting, but I need to work where the babies and dog aren’t able to “help.” 😂 Here you can see my first attempt to blend two paint colors. For this step, I chose to use Dixie Belle soft pink. It took a couple goes to get it to where I thought it looked good. I kept the paint damp with a fine mist spray bottle while doing this. This allowed the paints to blend easier. My intention was to highlight what is coming up next.
My husband picked out this transfer to use on the front! It is a redesign by prima transfer. You can purchase these on Amazon or from a local retailer that carries them. If you haven’t tried one yet, I highly recommend you give one a try!!
Now, we hadn’t measured (imagine that) and the transfer was too big. However, one of the awesome things about these transfers...you can cut them apart to use them anyway you need! Here you can see I have cut this one apart and taped it up to see what I think.
Once you have placement, take off the white backing, and burnish the transfer. I keep some tape in place while doing this step. SLOWLY start to remove the clear plastic....if you see ANY transfer still on the clear, immediately lay it back and burnish some more. If you are slow and cautious...you will be fine.
Transfer is all in place! If you notice...it is a little different than my initial layout, because I think this looks better! After getting the transfer applied, a coat of Dixie Belle satin topcoat goes on. I use the blue applicator sponge and think the end result is perfect.
All sealed! Loving the new metallic paints!
And done!! I included the clear coat and sponge in this picture for you. So excited with how this piece turned out. I had a lot of fun.
Top Hometalk Projects
To see more: //www.facebook.com/nettesemporium